Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Muth’s lawyer calls for case to be terminated

Muth’s lawyer calls for case to be terminated

Meas Muth defence counsel Michael Karnavas attends a hearing in the Khmer Rouge tribunal’s Case 002 in 2012. Mark Peters/ECCC
Meas Muth defence counsel Michael Karnavas attends a hearing in the Khmer Rouge tribunal’s Case 002 in 2012. Mark Peters/ECCC

Muth’s lawyer calls for case to be terminated

The defence team for Meas Muth has said terminating the proceedings against the alleged Khmer Rouge naval commander is the “only legitimate and lawful option” if funds cannot be found to ensure a fair trial.

The co-investigating judges at the Khmer Rouge tribunal in May made a confidential request for submissions on whether to issue a “permanent stay on proceedings” in the government-opposed cases 003, against Muth; 004, against Yim Tith; and 004/02, against Ao An. The co-investigators cited a “lack of funding” as the reason for the proposed stay, a justification that raised eyebrows among court observers.

Muth’s lawyer Michael Karnavas yesterday confirmed he had made such a submission.

“Effectively, if our client is indicted, then afford him his human rights, give him a full and fair trial and, if necessary, an appeal. If the UN and Cambodian Government cannot afford to maintain the ECCC, to properly fund it, to go the distance as it must, then the only legitimate and lawful option is to terminate the proceedings immediately,” he said.

“Anything less would be a pretence, a charade of due process.”

Lawyers for Yim Tith and Ao An declined to comment yesterday, citing the confidentiality of the process, and the prosecution did not respond to requests for comment.

A decision on the fate of all three cases was extended last month, but court spokesperson Hayat Abu-Saleh said yesterday no deadline had been set.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Breaking: PM says prominent human rights NGO ‘must close’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has instructed the Interior Ministry to investigate the Cambodian Center for Human Rights (CCHR) and potentially close it “because they follow foreigners”, appearing to link the rights group to the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party's purported “revolution”. The CNRP - the

  • Government approves plan to relocate Phnom Penh’s airport

    The government has signed off on a proposal to build a new airport to serve Phnom Penh and has earmarked land in Kandal province for the $1.5 billion project. A new international airport to replace the existing Phnom Penh International Airport will be constructed on partially

  • American convicted of raping boy, 10, in Siem Reap

    A 79-year-old American man was sentenced to one year in prison for raping a 10-year-old boy by Siem Reap Provincial Court on Wednesday. John Paul Zollbrecht, of Washington state, was sentenced to one year in prison while a Cambodian man who helped facilitate the abuse, 23

  • Cambodia: From pet project to problem child

    As international condemnation began to pour in earlier this month lambasting the Supreme Court’s decision to dissolve the country’s largest opposition party, ruling party elites were quick to ask: Why us? In an op-ed published by the Khmer Times, ruling Cambodian People’s