Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Caution for telecom firms with equipment in flood-hit areas

Caution for telecom firms with equipment in flood-hit areas

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Telecom operators have been urged to keep tabs on their equipment in flood-hit areas. Heng Chivoan

Caution for telecom firms with equipment in flood-hit areas

Telecommunication Regulator of Cambodia (TRC) has called on mobile operators and internet service providers (ISPs) to maintain their quality of service despite the recent damage caused by flash floods nationwide.

In an announcement late on Wednesday, the TRC called for telecom operators to keep tabs on their equipment in flood-hit areas, with emphasis on cells-on-wheels – portable base stations also known as CoWs.

“They have to monitor and increase the capacity of their battery banks, and install generators or solar batteries at their network management centres’ BTSs/NodeBs/eNodeBs to ensure the efficiency and the sustainability of their services,” it said.

According to the TRC, telecom operators must inform their subscribers in affected areas where services has been cut or connection are poor.

Reports on affected antennae must be submitted every Friday starting from October 23.

Leading mobile operators Smart Axiata Co Ltd and CamGSM Co Ltd – which operates under the Cellcard trademark – have set up flood relief funds to help those who have been affected by the recent floods.

Cellcard CEO Ian Watson said his company has waived on-net voice services usage charges and has provided 500MB of data for impacted customers since Tuesday night.

He said customers need only dial 1270 to receive the free calls and data. The package can be used for up to one week and can be extended each week until further notice, he added.

“Cellcard is doing everything it can to help those victims during these difficult times and this is very important for everyone to stay connected,” Watson said. “Cellcard engineers are working around the clock to keep network sites on air. Cellcard urges care and safety to all at this time.

Smart Axiata announced on Thursday that it has set up the Smart Axiata Flood Relief Fund and called on its subscribers to donate to help their fellow Cambodians in need.

It said it will match donations up to $200,000 and distribute the funds through the governors of the worst-affected provinces.

Its CEO Thomas Hundt said: “As the country confronts this natural disaster, Smart continues to extend our assistance to where it is most needed.”

Earlier this year, Smart Axiata announced a $1 million Covid-19 Relief Fund to provide monetary assistance for high-impact solutions to address Cambodia’s most urgent needs during and after crises.

According to a September 3 press release, it has funded 11 different initiatives through its Covid-19 Relief Fund, supporting programmes focused on distant education, hygiene, protective equipment for healthcare professionals, vocational training and access to finance for entrepreneurs.

The number of active mobile phone subscriptions across the Kingdom’s six operators was 20,481,051 as of the end of May, inching down 0.08 per cent from the end of May last year, data from the TRC show.

This figure is the equivalent of 124.09 per cent of the total population.

At the same time, the number of landline and fixed-line subscriptions numbered just 52,480 as of the end of May, slipping 21.62 per cent from the end of May last year.

The number of mobile internet subscriptions across Cambodia’s seven providers also recorded a 2.36 per cent drop to 14,863,435, whereas fixed broadband internet subscriptions across the Kingdom’s 37 providers logged a 33.07 per cent climb to 249,132.

MOST VIEWED

  • Municipal hall releases map detailing colour coded Covid risks by commune

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng released an official map detailing the red, yellow and dark yellow zones within the city under the new lockdown orders for Phnom Penh announced on April 26. The designation of red, dark yellow and yellow corresponds to areas with high,

  • Inter-provincial travel ban lifted; Phnom Penh and Takmao not exempted

    The government on April 25 decided to lift the inter-provincial travel ban and the closure of tourist attractions across the country, effectively immediately. The travel ban and closures of all resorts were imposed on April 6 and 17 respectively in a bid to curb the spread of Covid-19,

  • Phnom Penh unveils rules for post-lockdown transition

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration issued a set of detailed guidelines for the seven days to May 12 after the capital emerges from lockdown at the onset of May 6. In the 14-page document signed by municipal governor Khuong Sreng released on the evening of May 5, the

  • Phnom Penh, Takmao lockdown extended for another week

    The government late on April 26 announced an extension of lockdown in Phnom Penh and adjacent Takmao town in Kandal province for another seven days – or longer if residents do not comply with Covid-19 preventive measures and the community outbreak does not subside – until May 5. According

  • Gov't mulls extension of Phnom Penh, Takmao lockdown

    The Inter-ministerial National Commission for the Control and Enforcement of Lockdown held a video conference meeting on April 25 to review a draft document on the extension of lockdown in Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal province’s Takmao town. The meeting was chaired by Minister of

  • Gov’t issues guidelines as lockdown nears end

    The government has issued a five-page set of instructions to be enforced when the three-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Takmao town in Kandal province ends on May 6. According to an announcement signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen on May 4, the instructions cover a