Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - China welcomes US trade talks

China welcomes US trade talks

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Container delivery trucks are shown heading to the Port of Long Beach on July 12, in Long Beach, California, one of the world’s busiest seaports and a major gateway for trade between Asia and the US. Frederic J BROWN/afp

China welcomes US trade talks

China welcomed on Thursday a US offer to hold fresh trade talks, adding that the two are discussing the details, providing some hope the world’s top two economies could step back from the brink of an all-out trade war.

The countries have been engaged in an escalating tit-for-tat trade fight for months but on Wednesday it emerged that US Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin had invited top Chinese officials to discuss the issue.

“The Chinese side believes that the escalation of the trade conflict is not in the interest of either party,” commerce ministry spokesman Gao Feng told reporters at a regular news briefing.

Beijing “has indeed received an invitation from the US and holds a welcoming attitude to it”, said Gao, noting the “two sides are still communicating on the specific details”.

News of the possible high-level talks comes as a new business survey released Thursday showed that the majority of US firms in China are beginning to feel the pinch of the tit-for-tat trade battle.

The fight had looked like it would spiral further after US President Donald Trump last week threatened to impose tariffs on all $500 billion worth of imports from China.

Hopes for the resumption of negotiations sent Asian markets rallying with Hong Kong surging 2.5 per cent – having fallen for six straight days and into a bear market – and Shanghai more than one percent higher.

But analysts cautioned the two sides may still be far from coming to an agreement.

The Trump administration may not be fully aligned on the matter, with the US Trade Representative still seeming to want to apply pressure, while Beijing may not be ready to budge on its positions, economist Andrew Polk wrote in the Trivium China newsletter.

“We don’t think China has much more to offer than they already have, and the US doesn’t seem like it’s inclined to accept what is currently on the table,” Polk told AFP.

“We may be in for another round of disappointment,” Polk forecast of the “umpteenth round” of trade negotiations.

Trump imposed the first phase of tariffs this summer on $50 billion of Chinese exports, including high-end technology parts and manufactured goods, while Beijing fired back dollar-for-dollar at US soybeans, autos and other farm goods.

MOST VIEWED

  • Diplomatic passports issued to foreigners to be annulled

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation will move to annul diplomatic passports issued to those not born in Cambodia. Analysts say the move may be in relation to reports that former Thai prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra used a Cambodian passport to register as

  • The hairy little heroes saving many lives in rural Cambodia

    IN RURAL Siem Reap province, rats dare to tread where no person will, as these hairy little heroes place their lives on the line each day for the good of the local community. The rodents are the most important members of a special team, leading

  • Hun Sen warns Irish MP of EBA ‘mistake’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Saturday told former Irish premier Enda Kenny, still a member of the EU nation’s parliament, that the 28-nation bloc should not make a “third mistake” regarding Cambodia by using the preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) agreement to “take 16 million

  • PM warns EU and opposition on 34th anniversary of his rule

    HUN Sen reached the milestone of 34 years as Cambodian prime minister on Monday and used the groundbreaking ceremony for a new ring road around Phnom Penh to tell the international community that putting sanctions on the Kingdom meant killing the opposition. “Please don’t forget