Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Energy minister looks to draw investors in sector

Energy minister looks to draw investors in sector

Energy minister looks to draw investors in sector

Cambodian Minister of Mines and Energy Suy Sem earlier this week courted two major Chinese energy companies hoping to draw investment into the sector, according to an announcement released yesterday.

The minister met with Sichuan Investment Group, a company that specialises in energy production and infrastructure development, as well as Sino-light Holding International Corporation, a company that is looking into how to transform the capital’s waste into energy.

While no deals have yet to be struck, a statement on the ministry’s Facebook page said that the government was optimistic that the two companies would make investments after con-ducting feasibility studies on how to enter into the Cambodian market.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • Shanxi wins bid to build sections of new Siem Reap airport

    Shanxi Mechanization Construction Group recently won the bid to build two sections of the new Siem Reap Angkor International Airport project in Cambodia for 290 million yuan ($42.16 million). The existing Angkor International Airport in Siem Reap, 5km from the famous ancient temple complex and world tourism

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said