Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - New hall inaugurated at airport in capital

New hall inaugurated at airport in capital

A plane takes off from Phnom Penh International Airport in 2013.
A plane takes off from Phnom Penh International Airport in 2013. Heng Chivoan

New hall inaugurated at airport in capital

Cambodia Airports, a company majority-owned by France’s Vinci Group, officially inaugurated its $26 million new arrivals hall and the extension of its boarding concourse yesterday at the Phnom Penh International Airport.

Nicolas Notebaert, CEO of VINCI Concessions and chairman of VINCI Airports, said the expanded 10,000-square-metre arrivals hall, with two new conveyor belts for baggage, will help enhance the quality of service for airport users. He noted that the expansion also includes two new additional boarding gates for domestic departures.

“With this investment program, we want to keep pace with traffic growth and bolster our airport capacity,” he said. “Along with the network’s two other airports, Phnom Penh international Airport is fully prepared to accommodate the 7 million visitors expected in Cambodia by year 2020 and beyond.”

In 2016, the number of passengers going through Cambodia’s three international airports totalled more than 7 million, with Phnom Penh and Siem Reap airports providing nearly 500 regular flights per week.

Even though Cambodia’s airports cannot compete with countries like Singapore and Thailand, Sinan Thourn, chairman of the Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA), said that the Kingdom needs to keep upgrading its facilities to manage future growth.

“Even though our airports do not have huge facilities, we need to make sure that tourists find that our airports are convenient and provide good services,” he said, adding that as more arrivals fly in, Cambodia needs to focus on expanding and enhancing its tourism products.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen: Stop Russia sanctions

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said sanctions against Russia as a result of its military offensive in Ukraine should be stopped as they have produced no tangible results, and predicted that a global food crisis would ensue in 2023 as a consequence. Speaking to an audience at

  • Chinese tourists 2.0 – Coming anytime soon?

    Regional tourism is grappling with the absence of the prolific travellers and big spenders – the Chinese tourists. Cambodia, which has welcomed over two million Chinese tourists before Covid-19, is reeling from the economic loss despite being the first to fully open last November ‘To put

  • PM reflects on shoe throwing: Free speech or act of violence?

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on May 17 questioned whether a man who threw a shoe at him while he was in the US was exercising freedom of expression or if it was an act of hostility. Hun Sen was referring to an incident last week when

  • Siem Reap’s Angkor Botanical Garden opens

    The Angkor Botanical Garden was officially opened on May 19 with free entry for both local and international visitors for the first six weeks. The garden was established on a nearly 15ha plot of land in Siem Reap. “After the first six weeks, Angkor Botanical Garden

  • Pub Street on the cards for Battambang

    The Battambang Provincial Authority has announced that it is considering establishing a Pub Street in the area around the heritage buildings in Battambang town in a bid to attract more tourists. Battambang provincial governor Sok Lou told The Post that the establishment of a Pub

  • Hun Sen: Don’t react to hostility

    Prime Minister Hun Sen urged tolerance and thanked members of the Cambodian diaspora for not reacting to the hostility on display towards him by others while he was in the US to attend the May 12-13 ASEAN-US Special Summit in Washington, DC. In an audio