Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Railway project studies underway

Railway project studies underway

Content image - Phnom Penh Post

Railway project studies underway

A METRO, a monorail and an automated guideway transit (AGT) system are currently undergoing feasibility studies as the government looks to reduce Phnom Penh’s traffic congestion, Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol said on Wednesday.

The Japan International Cooperation Agency (Jica) is studying the construction of the AGT system. There are also two Chinese companies involved – one studying the construction of a monorail and the other of a metro, Chanthol said in April.

Speaking during a meeting on Monday, Chanthol said: “The results of the studies will be submitted to the Royal Government of Cambodia to assess and consider choosing any of the projects to address the congestion problem Phnom Penh faces today.”

Ministry of Public Works and Transport spokesman Vasim Sorya said Jica has completed its study of the AGT project but has not submitted its report to the ministry.

He said neither of the Chinese companies had completed their studies of the monorail and metro projects.

“When the Chinese companies’ studies are finished, then the ministry will submit them to the government around next year,” he said.

The government launched a bus service in 2014 and a ferry service last year to facilitate travel in Phnom Penh.

Chanthol previously said the proposed first AGT line would start at the Central Market and terminate at Phnom Penh International Airport, with a total length of 18km.

He said there were also plans to build AGT lines along some of the major roads, such as Monivong, Kampuchea Krom, Charles de Gaulle, Monireth and Veng Sreng boulevards.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • VIP prison scrapped amid much criticism

    The Ministry of Interior announced on Thursday that Cambodia’s first privately run prison, which was to allow prisoners with enough money to upgrade to more comfortable cells, has been scrapped. Ministry spokesman Khieu Sopheak said studies had found that no other country in the