Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - South Korea’s SpaceX lunar project is postponed to 2022

South Korea’s SpaceX lunar project is postponed to 2022

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The South Korean government’s plan to use a SpaceX projectile to search the orbit of the moon has been postponed to July 2022. SUSAN CIPRIANO/PIXABAY

South Korea’s SpaceX lunar project is postponed to 2022

The South Korean government’s plan to use a SpaceX projectile to search the orbit of the moon has been postponed to July 2022, the Ministry of Science and ICT said on Tuesday, amid lingering disputes over the projectile’s weight and design.

During a press briefing in Sejong city, the ministry announced that it had decided to delay the lunar projectile’s launch by 19 months. The projectile was supposed to be launched in December next year.

According to the government, there had been disputes among space experts about the ideal weight of the projectile at an early phase of the lunar programme. The debate became more intense when the government decided to choose the SpaceX projectile over a home-grown one in 2017.

“Our project was delayed because we can’t bridge the gaps between the researchers,” Choi Won-ho, a ministry official, told reporters. “There has been a clash of opinions whether a 678kg projectile can carry out the mission.”

According to the government’s new lunar search programme, the weight of the projectile would increase to 678kg from its previous 550kg. The changed plan also called for the projectile to search the moon in a combination of circular and oval orbit.

Now that the government has changed the projectile’s weight and orbit path, the lunar search project is expected to require more budget. It is expected to be more than 16 billion won ($14 million).

Since the former Roh Moo-hyun administration vowed to send a projectile for lunar orbit search by 2020, there have been many ups and downs in the project. The subsequent Park Geun-hye administration moved up the timeline to 2017, but later pushed it back to 2018. THE KOREA HERALD

MOST VIEWED

  • PM: All 10 Asean countries to receive Rainsy arrest warrants

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said on Thursday that all 10 Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) member states will receive warrants for the arrest of Sam Rainsy. The warrants have already been sent to Laos and Thailand. He was speaking at a joint press conference at

  • Human rights report biased, says Cambodia

    Cambodia has accused the 42nd session of the Human Rights Council in Geneva, Switzerland on Wednesday of having “undermined the principle of objectivity”. In a statement issued on Tuesday, the Permanent Mission of the Kingdom of Cambodia to the UN said the Office of the

  • CNRP activists arrested for ‘plotting insecurity’

    Three activists for the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) have been sent to Phnom Penh Municipal Court after they were arrested for their alleged involvement in an overseas-organised plot to mobilise demonstrations and cause insecurity. National Police spokesman Chhay Kim Khoeun said the

  • ‘Support of CNRP return online will lead to arrest’

    Anyone posting messages supporting the return of Sam Rainsy, the “acting president” of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP), on social media will be arrested, the Ministry of Interior announced on Tuesday. Ministry spokesman Khieu Sopheak told The Post on Monday that authorities