Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - WTO: EU can slap $4B in tariffs on US goods

WTO: EU can slap $4B in tariffs on US goods

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A Boeing 737 MAX jet underwent a test flight overseen by the Federal Aviation Administration last month. AFP

WTO: EU can slap $4B in tariffs on US goods

The World Trade Organisation (WTO) ruled on Tuesday that the EU could impose tariffs worth $4.0 billion on US imports in retaliation for illegal US aid to plane maker Boeing, a year after the EU was sanctioned for its support of Airbus.

The decision was the latest development in a 16-year saga between Washington and Brussels over support for their leading civil aircraft manufacturers.

The WTO determined that that amount was “commensurate with the degree and nature of the adverse effects determined to exist” from US support for Boeing considered to be in violation of international trade rules, according to the 121-page arbitrator’s report.

According to a list of targets seen by AFP, the EU is expected to impose tariffs on aircraft made in the US, along with tractors, sweet potatoes, peanuts, frozen orange juice, tobacco, ketchup and Pacific salmon.

The EU’s top trade official signalled a preference for avoiding new tariffs, calling instead on Washington to withdraw US levies on European goods after the WTO last year authorised a record $7.5 billion in US sanctions against European goods.

Washington then imposed punitive tariffs of 25 per cent on EU products such as wine, cheese and olive oil. A 10 per cent tariff on Airbus planes was hiked to 15 per cent in March.

“I have made it clear that my strong preference is for a negotiated settlement with the US, avoiding harmful rounds of measures and countermeasures,” EU executive vice-president Valdis Dombrovskis said.

“Our suggestion is that the US withdraws the tariffs they imposed as a consequence of the Airbus ruling,” the former Latvian prime minister added.

US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer on Tuesday said the US would “intensify” talks to find a resolution to the longstanding dispute.

“The United States is determined to find a resolution to this dispute that addresses the massive subsidies European governments have provided to Airbus and the harm to US aerospace workers and businesses,” Lighthizer said.

“We are waiting for a response from the EU to a recent US proposal and will intensify our ongoing negotiations with the EU to restore fair competition and a level playing field to this sector.”

Lighthizer said the ruling clearing the way for $4 billion in EU tariffs on US goods had “no valid basis” because it was based on a tax provision by Washington state, where Boeing is based, that had been repealed earlier this year.

Following Tuesday’s decision, the EU must request permission from the Dispute Settlement Body (DSB) to apply the decision – something it could do at the body’s next meeting on October 26, a week before the US presidential election.

While several EU leaders have been calling for imposing the tariffs immediately if Washington does not agree to drop its levies, few expect it to do so.

One industry source however expects the WTO ruling to “open the door for negotiations”.

Given the crisis the airline industry now finds itself in and the effect that is having on Airbus and Boeing, a long drawn-out battle in which tariffs raise the prices of aircraft does not serve the interests of either the EU or the US.

Airbus was among those calling for a settlement.

“It is time to find a solution now so that tariffs can be removed on both sides of the Atlantic,” said Airbus CEO Guillaume Faury.

MOST VIEWED

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia to make auto-rickshaws

    Locally-assembled electric auto-rickshaws could hit the Cambodian market as soon as early in May after the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC) gave the greenlight to an investment project at the weekend. According to a CDC press release, it will issue a final registration