Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Beijing calls for end to ‘malicious hyping’ of tennis star controversy



Beijing calls for end to ‘malicious hyping’ of tennis star controversy

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
China’s Peng Shuai celebrates her win against Daria Kasatkina of Russia during their women’s singles first round match on day one of the Australian Open tennis tournament in Melbourne on January 16, 2017. AFP

Beijing calls for end to ‘malicious hyping’ of tennis star controversy

China on November 23 said the controversy surrounding Peng Shuai was being “maliciously” hyped up, after the Chinese tennis star made sexual assault claims against one of the nation’s most powerful politicians.

Peng, a Wimbledon and French Open doubles champion, was not seen for more than two weeks after she made the accusations against former vice-premier Zhang Gaoli.

The 35-year-old Peng reappeared in public for the first time at the weekend when she was seen attending a Beijing tennis tournament.

“I think some people should stop deliberately and maliciously hyping up, let alone politicise this issue,” said foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian in response to a question on whether the case affected China’s international image.

Beijing will host the Winter Olympics in February.

“I believe you have all seen that she recently attended some public events and had a video call with IOC [International Olympic Committee] president Thomas Bach,” Zhao added.

The comment was the most direct response from the Chinese government to Peng’s case.

Until November 23, Beijing had repeatedly brushed off questions about her whereabouts and welfare – calling them “not a diplomatic issue”.

Evidence of her claims have also been scrubbed from China´s highly censored Internet.

The Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) has threatened to end lucrative contracts with China unless it gets word of Peng’s safety.

Peng appeared in a 30-minute video call with the IOC chief on November 21.

The organisation said in a statement that during the call, “Peng Shuai thanked the IOC for its concern about her well-being”.

“She explained that she is safe and well, living at her home in Beijing, but would like to have her privacy respected at this time,” it said.

Earlier on November 21, Peng was seen attending a Beijing tennis tournament, in official photos of the event.

But human rights groups and sporting authorities overseas have continued to voice concern about Peng and whether local authorities will act on her allegations.

“This video does not change our call for a full, fair and transparent investigation, without censorship, into her allegation of sexual assault, which is the issue that gave rise to our initial concern,” the WTA said, when asked about the IOC call.

Human Rights Watch also slammed the IOC and called for them to explain how the video call with Peng had been organised.

“The IOC has vaulted itself from silence about Beijing´s abysmal human rights record to active collaboration with Chinese authorities in undermining freedom of speech and disregarding alleged sexual assault,” said Yaqiu Wang, senior China researcher at Human Rights Watch.

“The IOC appears to prize its relationship with a major human rights violator over the rights and safety of Olympic athletes.”

Peng, a two-time Grand Slam doubles champion, alleged earlier this month that Zhang, now in his 70s, “forced” her into sex during an on-off relationship spanning several years.

Following a global outcry, including from tennis superstars and the UN, Chinese state media reporters have released a flurry of footage purporting to show all is well with Peng.

Peng’s claims against Zhang were the first time China’s #MeToo movement has touched the highest echelons of the ruling Communist Party.

MOST VIEWED

  • No more Africa travel ban but new rules for arrivals

    The Ministry of Health has decided to lift the ban on travellers from or who have travelled through 10 African countries and instead issued a set of standard operating procedures to manage passenger arrivals at Cambodia’s international airports. The 10 African countries are Botswana, Eswatini, Lesotho,

  • Prince Norodom Ranariddh passes away at 77

    Prince Norodom Ranariddh, the second son of the late King Father Norodom Sihanouk and former First Prime Minister of Cambodia, has passed away in France at the age of 77. “Samdech Krom Preah Norodom Ranariddh has passed away this morning in France just after 9am Paris-time,”

  • Cambodia purchases 4 million Molnupiravir tablets

    Cambodia has arranged for the purchase of four million US-made Molnupiravir pills – enough to treat 100,000 Covid-19 patients – even though the current rate of daily infections in Cambodia remains low. The medicine will be distributed to state hospitals, pharmacies and private clinics, according to the Samdech

  • Rise in planned flights lifts travel hopes

    Six airlines have applied to resume flights in December, while two others have put in for additional flights and routes, according to State Secretariat of Civil Aviation (SSCA) head Mao Havannall on November 29. These account for 43 new weekly domestic and international flights in December, up 16

  • Is Cambodia’s travel sector in for another cheerless holiday season?

    The travel and tourism sector was heaving back to life as borders started to reopen, promising a festive vibe for the holidays and New Year. But Omicron and other Covid-related issues are threatening to close the year on a bleak note ‘Seems [like] Covid-19 won’

  • PM blasts Vietnam general over Covid claims

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on December 6 expressed dismay after Vietnamese general Hoang Xuan Chien, formerly in charge of Vietnam’s border defences, claimed that Cambodia was a source of Covid-19 transmissions to the country. Speaking at the opening ceremony for National Road 11 connecting Prey Veng