Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Britain to impose new virus curbs as WHO issues warning




Britain to impose new virus curbs as WHO issues warning

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The British government announced fresh steps on Tuesday to try to stop a virus surge in England. New Covid-19 cases worldwide soared to record levels last week. AFP

Britain to impose new virus curbs as WHO issues warning

The British government announced fresh steps on Tuesday to try to stop a coronavirus surge in England, as the World Health Organisation (WHO) warned that new cases worldwide soared to record levels last week.

The tally of 1,998,897 infections was “the highest number of reported cases in a single week since the beginning of the epidemic”, the WHO said, adding that the number of deaths fell compared with the previous week.

The death toll in the US passed another dismal milestone on Tuesday, soaring beyond 200,000 as cases approached seven million in the world’s worst-affected country.

The ramped-up response in Britain followed warnings that the country could see an explosion of cases and deaths if it failed to take decisive action.

From Thursday, English pubs, bars and other venues will be required to close at 10:00pm. Food and drink outlets will also be restricted to table service.

Some businesses have criticised the move, saying it will inflict more suffering on an already beleaguered industry.

But customers outside cafes in central London were broadly supportive of the new rules if it meant avoiding another lockdown.

“It isn’t all about the money. It should be about people’s lives,” Francesca Galluzzo, an operations manager, said.

Britain has also shelved plans to allow fans to return to sporting venues in England next month and boosted fines for rule-breakers in broad tightening of restrictions.

Many nations in Europe were easing restrictions after largely overcoming initial outbreaks, but the resurgence of the virus has forced them to tighten curbs again.

Spanish Minister of Health, Social Services and Equality Salvador Illa on Tuesday called on Madrid residents to limit their movements and social contacts to the essential.

Across Europe, hundreds of major events have been scaled back or cancelled and on Tuesday the most august of all gatherings, the Nobel Prize ceremony, announced it had also succumbed to the pandemic.

The famous event in the Swedish capital Stockholm recognising excellence in subjects from economics to physics has been cancelled for the first time since 1944, set to be replaced by a televised event.

Rather than receiving their medals and diplomas from the king of Sweden in person, the winners will be honoured in their own countries.

The Nobel Peace Prize ceremony in Norway in December will also be scaled back.

An EU leaders’ summit due to start on Thursday was meanwhile postponed after a security guard tested positive for coronavirus, forcing EU chief Charles Michel to quarantine.

But the US still tops the charts for the numbers of infections and deaths in a single country.

President Donald Trump has faced intense criticism of his handling of the crisis, and the prospect of an election in November has sharpened the focus.

Trump insisted on Monday that the country was “rounding the corner with or without a vaccine”.

The pandemic has wiped out hundreds of thousands of jobs around the world, with millions living rough.

Until a vaccine is developed, the options for treatment available to the less privileged are limited.

In Mexico, where more than 73,000 people have died, many are choosing to stay at home when they fall ill instead of seeking treatment at creaking public hospitals.

Jessica Castillo in central Hidalgo state said she suffered for a week at home and even had suicidal thoughts.

“I felt that the air I was breathing wasn’t entering my lungs,” said 43-year-old pastry chef, whose coronavirus recovery took more than a month.

“But I said: ‘If I go to the hospital, I’ll never return.’”

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen says Kingdom not a 'satellite country'

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said Cambodia had sent diplomatic notes to various embassies demonstrating its stance and clarifying allegations that the Kingdom is a satellite country of China which will allow it exclusive access to the Ream Naval Base in Preah Sihanouk province. The response

  • Vast Prince Manor fun park opens to much fanfare in Kandal

    Chinese-owned Prince Culture and Development Co Ltd officially launched the $85 million Prince Manor entertainment centre in Kandal province on Wednesday. Prince Manor is located along National Road 1, 20km from the centre of Phnom Penh. It is the first major theme park project in Cambodia and

  • Angkor provides ‘valuable’ water storage

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) has stored millions of cubic metres of water at reservoirs in the Angkor area after Cambodia experienced a series of rainstorms over the last few days. The storing of the water, besides serving temple conservation, will also be used to

  • Floods prompt evacuations in Kampong Speu

    Rain-induced floods and water flowing from Kampong Speu province have submerged the houses of 1,527 families living close to the Prek Thnot River in Spean Thma, Tien, Kong Noy and Roluos communes in Phnom Penh’s Dangkor district, according to data from local authorities. Spean Thma

  • Serving coffee with a side of robots

    The eye-catching glass building surrounded by greenery at the intersection of Streets 371 and 2002 in Phnom Penh’s Sen Sok district is more than just another coffee shop where you can while away a few hours. UrHobby House cafe is filled with robots and characters from

  • Cintri strike ends, workers’ contracts to be terminated

    CINTRI (Cambodia) Ltd rubbish collectors who have been on strike for the past 13 days agreed to return to work starting Wednesday evening after the company agreed to terminate their contracts at the end of January next year and provide seniority payments and other benefits to