Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Filipino ‘suicide bomber’ behind last month’s attack

Filipino ‘suicide bomber’ behind last month’s attack

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The attack last month killed three soldiers and two civilians. AFP

Filipino ‘suicide bomber’ behind last month’s attack

Philippine security forces confirmed on Wednesday that at least one Filipino “suicide bomber” was behind a deadly attack last month, in a first for the Asian country.

Norman Lasuca and one other yet to be identified suspect blew themselves up outside a military camp on the remote southern island of Jolo on June 28 in an attack that also killed three soldiers and two civilians, the police and military said.

“We can now confirm . . . the incidence of the first suicide bombing in the Philippines, perpetrated by a Filipino in the person of Norman Lasuca,” military spokesman Brigadier General Edgard Arevalo told a news conference.

The Jolo bombing marks a worrying escalation of militancy driven by the influence of the Islamic State (IS) group in Southeast Asia, security experts said earlier.

A decades-old Islamist insurgency in the southern Philippines has killed tens of thousands.

But suicide attacks have been used extremely rarely, with foreign fighters blamed for the few that have been carried out.

National police spokesman Bernard Banac described last month’s bombing as “a locally initiated attack organised by the Abu Sayyaf group”, a Jolo-based gang of militants engaged in kidnappings and bombings.

“The report as claimed by Isis that they are the ones responsible for this is still up to validation and that remains to be seen,” he told reporters, referring to IS by an alternative name.

Philippine authorities said the two suspected Jolo bombers’ remains were tested for DNA, and one matched that of Lasuca’s mother and brother, who are both Tausugs, the predominant Muslim ethnic group in Jolo.

Experts are still attempting to identify the second bomber, Banac said.

“Before, we only heard of IED [improvised explosive device] attacks, remote-controlled attacks but this time an individual blew himself up as a full-fledged suicide bomber,” Arevalo said.

“We [security forces] will have adjustments in techniques, tactics and procedures given this development,” he said.

“We consider this to be an isolated case,” he added.

However, he acknowledged that “the security environment in our country has changed” and civilians should help the security forces combat the new threat.

They must ensure prospective recruits “won’t be radicalised by terrorist groups [who are] only waiting for the right time and individual to bring to the road of extremism”, he said.

Arevalo said Lasuca’s mother described the son, in his early twenties, as a former “battered” child who endured beatings meted out by his father.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • VIP prison scrapped amid much criticism

    The Ministry of Interior announced on Thursday that Cambodia’s first privately run prison, which was to allow prisoners with enough money to upgrade to more comfortable cells, has been scrapped. Ministry spokesman Khieu Sopheak said studies had found that no other country in the