Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Laos records first coronavirus death



Laos records first coronavirus death

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A woman, wearing a facemask amid concerns about the spread of the COVID-19 novel coronavirus, rides a motorcycle past a poster for the Disney film "Mulan" in Vientiane on March 11, 2020. Mladen Antonov/AFP

Laos records first coronavirus death

A 53-year-old Vietnamese woman has died from the novel coronavirus in Laos, marking the first death from the virus recorded in the nation, the National Taskforce for Covid-19 Prevention and Control announced on May 9.

Laos became the last country in ASEAN to log a fatality caused by the deadly SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus, the pathogen that causes Covid-19.

The woman, who worked at a karaoke club in Naxay village, Xaysettha district, Vientiane, had underlying medical issues including diabetes, which caused complications and worsened her condition in just a few days.

Her death sparked further alarm about the virus and is prompting authorities to intensify their battle against the deadly disease.

Speaking at a press conference on May 9, Department of Healthcare and Rehabilitation deputy director-general Dr Bouathep Phoumin said that unlike in 2020, many older people have contracted Covid-19. People who have existing health conditions such as diabetes and hypertension are likely to be more affected and the severity of their symptoms can escalate rapidly.

Dr Bouathep urged everyone who tests positive for Covid-19 and people in at-risk groups to be honest and give accurate information to health authorities so that their contacts can be traced.

Laos’ first fatality from Covid-19 comes amid a rapid surge in infections since the Lao New Year holiday.

On May 9, 69 new cases were reported nationwide, bringing the total to 1,302. The highest number of new infections was reported in Bokeo province with 46, followed by Vientiane with 16.

Champasak province recorded three cases and Savannakhet province four cases. However, 232 people were discharged from hospitals.

The positive test results were obtained from 6,827 samples that were tested for the virus.

On May 6, 105 new cases were identified, with the highest number being in Bokeo province with 72, followed by Vientiane with 15 new cases. On Friday, 28 cases were reported, of which 10 occurred in Vientiane, eight in Bokeo province and four in Champasak province.

On May 8, 28 cases were recorded, with Bokeo province reporting 12 new cases and Vientiane eight. In Vientiane, the new infections were mostly linked to the 59th person to contract the virus, one of four so-called super spreaders who are believed to have triggered the virus outbreak.

Health officials said many of the most recent people to contract the virus had visited the same places as the 59th infected person.

Lao authorities have struggled to trace people who might have come into contact with the first group of individuals who tested positive for Covid-19 last month.

After many of the suspected contacts gave inaccurate information, authorities warned that people who deliberately concealed information would face legal action and could be charged with spreading the virus.

The National Covid-19 Taskforce met in Vientiane recently to discuss the plan of action until May 20 and the responsibilities of the sectors concerned in attempting to contain the coronavirus.

The action plan will support Prime Minister’s Order No 15/PM on the Reinforcement of Measures for the Containment, Prevention and Response to the Covid-19 Pandemic, under which the lockdown has been extended until May 20.

VIENTIANE TIMES/ASIA NEWS NETWORK

MOST VIEWED

  • Restrictions re-imposed in capital as Covid cases surge

    Amid the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has shown no sign of subsiding with 750 infections and 10 deaths reported on June 2 alone, the Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has decided to re-impose the suspension of all occupations and business activities deemed as posing high risk of

  • Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway 51% complete

    The construction of the nearly $2 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway is 51.35 per cent complete and is expected to be finished in 2023, according to Ministry of Public Works and Transport secretary of state Vasim Sorya. Invested in by Cambodian PPSHV Expressway Co Ltd, the first expressway in

  • First 7-Eleven store to open mid-June, ambassador says

    Thai retail conglomerate CP All Pcl will open Cambodia’s first 7-Eleven convenience store in mid-June, Cambodian ambassador to Thailand Ouk Sorphorn told The Post on June 1. The Bangkok-listed 7-Eleven franchise operator, the retail arm of Charoen Pokphand Group Co Ltd, granted CP All (Cambodia)

  • With herd immunity likely in 2022, is Cambodia ready to reopen for tourism?

    The government aims to inoculate 80 per cent of the target population by June next year, giving it a head start among regional peers to reboot the sector but first, it has to do a few things to up its game A sign on a glass

  • US embassy guard gets Covid despite two doses of Pfizer jab

    The Covid-19 tracking commission on June 4 said a security guard at the US embassy in Phnom Penh had contracted the novel coronavirus, despite having received a second dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech shot two weeks ago. Embassy spokesperson Chad Roedemeier confirmed the SARS-CoV-2 infection to The

  • US wants 'full access' to Ream Naval Base

    On June 11, the US embassy's Defense Attaché Colonel Marcus M Ferrara visited Ream Nava Base in coordination with Cambodian officials following the recent approval of Prime minister Hun Sen to allay the concerns on Chinese military presence at the base as raised by US Deputy