Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Myanmar’s London embassy ‘seized’ by military, ambassador locked out



Myanmar’s London embassy ‘seized’ by military, ambassador locked out

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Myanmar ambassador to the UK Kyaw Zwar Minn (centre) stands locked outside the Myanmar embassy in London on Wednesday. AFP

Myanmar’s London embassy ‘seized’ by military, ambassador locked out

Myanmar's ambassador to Britain accused a Yangon military-linked figure of occupying the embassy on April 7 and barring him access, in an extraordinary diplomatic stand-off a month after the envoy called for the junta to release ousted civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi.

Protesters gathered outside the building in London’s Mayfair neighbourhood with the ambassador, Kyaw Zwar Minn, as reports emerged he had been locked out. When asked who was inside, he replied: “Defence attache, they occupy my embassy.”

The ambassador said he would stay outside the embassy “all night”, explaining “this is my building”.

Myanmar has been in turmoil since the army deposed civilian leader Suu Kyi on February 1, with nearly 600 people killed in a crackdown on anti-coup protests that has ignited international outrage and pleas for restraint.

The junta recalled the ambassador last month after he issued a statement urging them to release Suu Kyi and President Win Myint.

“Diplomacy is the only response and answer to the current impasse,” Kyaw Zwar Minn said in the statement that was tweeted by British foreign secretary Dominic Raab.

Britain’s Foreign Office, which has been a strong critic of the coup, said it was “seeking further information following an incident at Myanmar’s embassy in London”, and the Metropolitan Police said they were aware of the situation.

Kyaw Zwar Minn told the Daily Telegraph that “when I left the embassy, they stormed inside the embassy and took it.

“They said they received instruction from the capital, so they are not going to let me in,” he added, calling on the British government to intervene.

Rights abuse dossier

Demonstrations calling for the return of democracy and the release of Suu Kyi have rocked Myanmar almost daily since the coup.

Civil servants, doctors and other key workers have downed tools as part of a civil disobedience movement aimed at preventing the military from running the country.

In response, the security forces have used rubber bullets and live rounds to break up rallies and detained thousands of activists.

International powers have voiced anger and dismay at the junta’s brutal approach, and imposed sanctions on key officials.

But while the UN Security Council has condemned civilian deaths, it has stopped short of considering sanctions, with both China and Russia against the move.

And so far, the diplomatic pressure appears to be having little effect on the bloodshed.

A group representing the ousted civilian government on April 7 said it has gathered 180,000 pieces of evidence showing rights abuses by the junta including torture and extrajudicial killings.

A lawyer for the Committee for Representing Pyidaungsu Hluttaw (CRPH) – a group of members of Parliament from Suu Kyi’s National League for Democracy (NLD) party – met UN investigators on April 7 to discuss alleged atrocities by the junta.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and