Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Netanyahu orders new Israeli settlement in West Bank




Netanyahu orders new Israeli settlement in West Bank

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. POOL/AFP

Netanyahu orders new Israeli settlement in West Bank

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on January 11 directed authorities to approve construction of 800 new homes for Jewish settlers in the occupied West Bank, days before US President Donald Trump’s strongly pro-Israel administration departs office.

The move also comes as internal political jockeying intensifies ahead of the Jewish state’s own election, its fourth in two years, following the collapse of a fractious coalition between Netanyahu and his defence minister Benny Gantz.

“Netanyahu has directed that plans be advanced for the construction of about 800 units in Judea and Samaria,” a statement from his office said, using biblical terms for the West Bank.

US President-elect Joe Biden, who will be sworn in next week, has indicated that his administration will restore Washington’s pre-Trump policy of opposing settlement expansion in the occupied Palestinian Territories.

All Jewish settlements in the West Bank are regarded as illegal by much of the international community.

The settlement announcement came a day after Gantz opposed plans to legalise under Israeli law a series of settlement outposts, which, given his control of the defence portfolio, in effect takes this proposal – one that has strong appeal for right-wing voters – off the table.

Settler leaders meanwhile accused Gantz of intending to push ahead with retrospectively legalising under Israeli law Palestinian construction in Israeli-controlled parts of the West Bank.

Late on January 11, Gantz’s office said the defence ministry would be advancing next week “Palestinian construction initiatives” in the West Bank, including approving hotels in the Bethlehem area, expanding Palestinian towns and approving existing construction work.

The election is set for March 23 and Netanyahu is widely expected to make a series of plays for right-wing votes, including by bolstering his pro-settlement credentials, before the vote, according to Israeli political analysts.

A series of recent polls indicate Netanyahu is facing a strong right-wing challenge from pro-settler candidate Gideon Saar, who defected from Netanyahu’s Likud party last month to run against the premier.

Yigal Dilmoni, head of the Yesha Council settlement lobby, brushed away January 11’s greenlighting of the 800 units as “normal procedure”, while reiterating demands that the outposts be legalised, which would enable them to receive infrastructure and services.

Saar meanwhile issued a statement calling on Netanyahu and Gantz to “rise above the disputes and regulate the status of these communities”.

The statement from Netanyahu’s office said that 100 of the new units were to be built in the Tal Menashe settlement, where French-Israeli Esther Horgen was murdered last month.

Israel’s security services have said the settler was murdered by Palestinian Mohammed Cabha.

Other units would be built in the Nofei Nehemia outpost, according to the premier’s statement.

Netanyahu’s order to advance settlement construction is not final, with the process having to clear several bureaucratic phases and possible legal challenges from anti-occupation groups before any construction begins.

The move was slammed by anti-settlement Israeli NGO Peace Now as a “disgrace” aimed at telling the Biden administration that “Israel is seeking a confrontation”.

Trump’s administration gave unprecedented US support to settler groups, highlighted by a declaration from Secretary of State Mike Pompeo in 2019 that Washington no longer viewed settlements as being in violation of international law.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • More than 5K workers rush from Thailand amid outbreak

    Following the recent outbreak of Covid-19 in Thailand’s Samut Sakhon province, Cambodian migrants working in Thailand were gripped by worry over the situation and many rushed to return to their homeland. Over the past 10 days, more than 5,000 migrant workers have returned from Thailand through