Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - North, South Korea restore cross-border hotline



North, South Korea restore cross-border hotline

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The restoration comes just days after Pyongyang sparked international concern with a series of missile tests. AFP

North, South Korea restore cross-border hotline

North and South Korea restored their cross-border hotline on October 4, a step that Seoul said could help improve relations after Pyongyang sparked global concern with a string of missile tests in recent weeks.

The two sides resumed communications with officials exchanging their first phone call since August, days after the UN Security Council held an emergency meeting over the North Korean missile tests.

The two Koreas had signalled a surprise thaw in relations in late July by announcing the resumption of cross-border communications – severed more than a year earlier – but the detente was short-lived, as Pyongyang stopped answering calls just two weeks later.

Seoul's unification ministry confirmed the phone call at 9am on October 4 between officials from the two rivals – a call that had gone unanswered previously.

"It's been a while and I'm very happy that the communication line has been restored," a South Korean official told his northern counterpart in footage provided to reporters by the ministry.

The South's defence ministry also confirmed that cross-border military communications have resumed.

"With the restoration of the South-North communication line, the government evaluates that a foundation for recovering inter-Korean relations has been provided," the unification ministry said in a statement.

“Through the stable management of the communication lines and swift resumption of talks, the government hopes to start substantive discussions on implementing agreements between the two Koreas, improving inter-Korean relations and making peace on the Korean Peninsula.”

Earlier on October 4, North Korean leader Kim Jong-un had "expressed the intention of restoring the cut-off north-south communication lines" with the South at 9am, the North’s official Korean Central News Agency said, calling for Seoul to fulfil its “tasks”, without specifying further.

It reported that the move was an attempt to establish "lasting peace" on the Korean peninsula.

“The South Korean authorities should make positive efforts to put the North-South ties on a right track and settle the important tasks which must be prioritised to open up the bright prospect in the future, bearing deep in mind the meaning of the restoration of communication lines,” it said.

But an analyst played down October 4’s restoration as a "symbolic" gesture, noting the North's recent missile launches.

"Even if this leads to talks, we may enter a new phase where North Korea engages in dialogue but continues to carry out provocations simultaneously," said Park Won-gon, a professor of North Korean Studies at Ewha Womans University.

North Korea had unilaterally cut off all official military and political communication links in June last year over activists sending anti-Pyongyang leaflets across the border.

The two sides said on July 27 this year that all lines were restored.

Their joint announcement, which coincided with the anniversary of the end of the Korean War, was the first positive development since a series of summits between Kim and the South's President Moon Jae-in in 2018 failed to achieve any significant breakthrough.

They also revealed at the time that Kim and Moon had exchanged a series of letters since April in which they agreed that re-establishing hotlines would be a productive first step in rebooting relations between the two rivals which, despite the end of their 1950-1953 conflict, remain technically at war.

But the cross-border communication lasted for just two weeks, with the North dropping them in protest at joint South Korea-US military drills.

In the period since, Pyongyang has held a series of tension-raising missile tests.

In September, it launched what it said was a long-range cruise missile, and last week it tested what it described as a hypersonic gliding vehicle, which South Korea's military said appeared to be in the early stages of development.

On October 1, it said it had successfully fired a new anti-aircraft missile.

Pyongyang slammed the UN Security Council on October 3 for holding an emergency meeting over the missile tests, accusing member states of toying with a "time-bomb".

AFP, THE KOREA HERALD/ASIA NEWS NETWORK

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Education’ a priority traffic-law penalty

    A top National Police official on June 21 neither rejected nor confirmed the authenticity of a leaked audio message, which has gone viral on social media, on a waiver of fines for a number of road traffic-related offences. General Him Yan, deputy National Police chief in

  • Pursat Ford assembly plant opens

    The Kingdom’s first Ford assembly plant was inaugurated on June 16 in Pursat province amid rising demand for brand-new vehicles among Cambodians. The facility is seen as a game changer for the domestic automobile industry, which could bring a wave of investors seeking to cash

  • Volunteer scheme to foster ‘virtuous’ humanitarian spirit

    A senior education official said volunteer work contributes to solidarity and promotes a virtuous humanitarian spirit among the youth and communities. Serei Chumneas, undersecretary of state at the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, made the comment during the opening of a training programme called “

  • Siem Reap’s $18M zoo said to educate public, help wildlife

    Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium Co Ltd has invested $18 million in a zoo in Siem Reap province, which will be opened in October to educate and promote animal conservation as well as attract national and international tourists. Currently, the Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium is building the

  • $50B infrastructure plan en route

    The government’s upcoming $50 billion,10-year infrastructure master plan will provide tremendous investment opportunities for domestic and foreign entities, transport experts and economists say. Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol revealed the plan to Japanese ambassador to Cambodia Masahiro Mikami on June 15. At

  • Chinese firms unveil preliminary results on metro, monorail for capital

    Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol and representatives from China Road and Bridge Corp (CRBC) and its parent company, the state-owned China Communications Construction Co Ltd (CCCC), met on June 24 for talks on results of the firms’ preliminary study on a potential metro