Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Taliban spokeman: Afghans not barred from leaving country



Taliban spokeman: Afghans not barred from leaving country

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Taliban’s Deputy Minister for Refugees and Repatriations Mohammad Arsala Kharutai speaks during a press conference in Kabul on Tuesday. AFP

Taliban spokeman: Afghans not barred from leaving country

The Taliban’s chief spokesman on March 1 rowed back comments he made suggesting Afghans would be barred from leaving the country, saying he had been misunderstood.

Zabihullah Mujahid sparked alarm at the weekend when he told a press conference that Afghans would need “an excuse” to travel abroad, and confirmed Afghanistan’s new rulers had put a stop to any more evacuation flights.

After seizing power in August, the Taliban promised Afghan citizens would be allowed to come and go as they pleased – as long as they had passports and visas for their destinations.

But on February 27, he told a press conference: “I have to say clearly that persons who leave the country along with their families and have no excuse . . . we are preventing them.”

On March 1, he tweeted that his “meaning” was: “Our compatriots who have legal documents and invitations can travel outside the country and can return to the country confidently.”

The Taliban’s deputy minister for refugees and repatriations, however, said on March 1 that it was “not appropriate” for Western nations to invite Afghans abroad, or facilitate their departure.

“To a larger extent, the international community is interfering in Afghanistan’s affairs and are inviting people promising asylum,” Mohammad Arsala Kharutai told a press conference.

“This is interference and against international law and we condemn it.”

Mujahid’s February 27 announcement alarmed many Afghans who have been promised asylum abroad after working with US-led foreign forces or other Western organisations during the Taliban’s 20-year insurgency.

More than 120,000 Afghans and dual nationals were evacuated up to August 31 when the last US-led troops withdrew, two weeks after the hardline Islamists seized Kabul.

Thousands with similar links are still in Afghanistan, however, desperate to leave and fearful they may be targeted by the Taliban as “collaborators”.

The last official evacuation by air was on December 1, although organised road convoys to Pakistan have taken place as recently as last week.

Hugo Shorter, Britain’s top envoy to Afghanistan, but based outside the country, said barring Afghans from leaving amounted to “unacceptable restrictions on freedom of movement”.

“I call on the Taliban to clarify their remarks urgently,” he tweeted.

“The world is still watching the Taliban’s behaviour.”

In Washington, the State Department said the Taliban had a commitment to allowing free passage, and that the US continues to try to facilitate the exit of US citizens and eligible Afghan allies who want to leave.

“We will continue to engage diplomatically to resolve any issues and to hold the Taliban to their public pledge to let all foreign nationals and any Afghan citizen with travel authorisation from other countries to freely depart Afghanistan,” a department spokesperson said.

“Our ability to facilitate relocation for our Afghan allies depends on the Taliban living up to its commitment of free passage. We have repeatedly reiterated this point to them.”

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Education’ a priority traffic-law penalty

    A top National Police official on June 21 neither rejected nor confirmed the authenticity of a leaked audio message, which has gone viral on social media, on a waiver of fines for a number of road traffic-related offences. General Him Yan, deputy National Police chief in

  • Pursat Ford assembly plant opens

    The Kingdom’s first Ford assembly plant was inaugurated on June 16 in Pursat province amid rising demand for brand-new vehicles among Cambodians. The facility is seen as a game changer for the domestic automobile industry, which could bring a wave of investors seeking to cash

  • Siem Reap’s $18M zoo said to educate public, help wildlife

    Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium Co Ltd has invested $18 million in a zoo in Siem Reap province, which will be opened in October to educate and promote animal conservation as well as attract national and international tourists. Currently, the Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium is building the

  • Volunteer scheme to foster ‘virtuous’ humanitarian spirit

    A senior education official said volunteer work contributes to solidarity and promotes a virtuous humanitarian spirit among the youth and communities. Serei Chumneas, undersecretary of state at the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, made the comment during the opening of a training programme called “

  • $50B infrastructure plan en route

    The government’s upcoming $50 billion,10-year infrastructure master plan will provide tremendous investment opportunities for domestic and foreign entities, transport experts and economists say. Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol revealed the plan to Japanese ambassador to Cambodia Masahiro Mikami on June 15. At

  • Chinese firms unveil preliminary results on metro, monorail for capital

    Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol and representatives from China Road and Bridge Corp (CRBC) and its parent company, the state-owned China Communications Construction Co Ltd (CCCC), met on June 24 for talks on results of the firms’ preliminary study on a potential metro