Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - ‘Washington aims for complete NK denuclearisation’

‘Washington aims for complete NK denuclearisation’

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Washington’s goal is the complete denuclearisation of North Korea, said special US envoy Stephen Biegun. Ed JONES/AFP

‘Washington aims for complete NK denuclearisation’

A top US envoy said on Monday Washington’s goal is the complete denuclearisation of North Korea by the end of Donald Trump’s first term, insisting it will not settle for incremental disarmament.

“We are not going to do denuclearisation incrementally,” said Stephen Biegun, the special US envoy for North Korea.

While stressing he was not bound by an artificial calendar, Biegun said the administration wanted to accomplish the complete and verified denuclearisation of North Korea by the end of Trump’s term in January 2021.

“We stand by the expectation that if we fully mobilise our resources … we could align ourselves in a manner sufficient to achieve this in something approaching a year,” he said.

“We do have to have a complete declaration” from Pyongyang, he went on. “We will not lift these sanctions until NK completes the process of denuclearisation.”

The US side has included North Korea’s chemical and biological weapons in the negotiations with Pyongyang.

The envoy said there could be no comprehensive agreement with the North without agreement on each point, adding that there was “complete unity” in the administration on that approach.

Speaking at a conference organised by the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, Biegun said progress had been made despite the failure of Trump’s second summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, held in Hanoi last month.

“The door remains open” for further negotiations, he said, adding, however, that “the North Koreans have to be fully invested”.

“Nothing can be agreed until everything’s agreed,” he stressed, while adding that confidence-building measures between the countries could still take place.

The outcome in Hanoi last month fell far short of hopes that the meeting would build on the leaders’ summit in Singapore in June last year which marked a historic first but resulted only in a vague commitment to “work toward complete denuclearisation of the Korean peninsula.”

After weeks of building expectations and with a signing ceremony ready to go, Trump abruptly ended the summit, saying: “Sometimes you have to walk and this was just one of those times.”

North Korean Foreign Minister Ri Yong-ho later said his side had offered to “permanently and completely dismantle all the nuclear production facilities” at its main complex in Yongbyon if the US dropped sanctions “that hamper the civilian economy and the livelihood of our people”.

Biegun repeated the US position that sanctions would not be lifted “until North Korea completes the process of denuclearisation”.

MOST VIEWED

  • Police seek arrest of Chinese ‘gang’

    Cambodian police remain on the lookout for 20 Chinese nationals who earlier this month posted a video clip threatening to stoke insecurity in Preah Sihanouk province, though the Chinese Embassy in Phnom Penh maintained the group posed no threats to Cambodia’s national security. National Police

  • Man arrested for fake PM endorsement

    The owner of currency exchange company GCG Asia Co Ltd was temporarily detained by the court yesterday for attempted fraud after Prime Minister Hun Sen reacted to the company using his name and pictures to allege his endorsement of the firm. Phnom Penh Municipal Court

  • Rapper deletes song critical of Cambodian social issues

    A young musician has deleted from Facebook and YouTube a rap song that was critical of Cambodia’s social issues and announced that he will stop singing the song after officials visited his home in Siem Reap province and allegedly gave him a warning. Provincial

  • Sihanoukville authority orders structure dismantled

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration has ordered owners of two unauthorised construction sites to immediately dismantle them and warned of legal action if the owners failed to comply. Ly Chet Niyom, development management and construction bureau chief at the provincial hall, told The Post on