Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Bavet ‘quiet’, factories operating after unrest

Bavet ‘quiet’, factories operating after unrest

Military police form a line in front of protesting garment factory workers last week in Bavet near a special economic zone.
Military police form a line in front of protesting garment factory workers last week in Bavet near a special economic zone. AFP

Bavet ‘quiet’, factories operating after unrest

Garment workers in the Svay Rieng border town of Bavet went to their factories in droves for the first day of the workweek yesterday, on the heels of unrest that has rocked the town for almost two weeks.

“There were no protests, everything was quiet,” said Rex Lee, manager of the Manhattan Special Economic Zone, one of the two SEZs, along with the smaller Tai Seng SEZ, affected by the unrest. “All of the factories are operating.”

Workers striking over what they considered an insufficient increase to the minimum wage have repeatedly clashed with police since mass strikes began on December 16, with injuries alleged on both sides.

A total of 11 workers have been arrested in connection with the violence.

Last Tuesday, provincial officials pledged to release four workers arrested on December 18 on bail in a bid to smooth tensions. However, the four remain detained.

Lee, the Manhattan manager, said workers have remained quiet due to the arrests and fears that further strikes would cut into salaries, adding that about 600 police were still patrolling the area.

“[Protesters] said they would avenge [the arrested workers], but nothing happened.”

Ros Tharith, provincial administration director, said the additional police would remain in Bavet until the situation was fully stabilised.

He added that there were no updates on the promised release of the four workers.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Education’ a priority traffic-law penalty

    A top National Police official on June 21 neither rejected nor confirmed the authenticity of a leaked audio message, which has gone viral on social media, on a waiver of fines for a number of road traffic-related offences. General Him Yan, deputy National Police chief in

  • Pursat Ford assembly plant opens

    The Kingdom’s first Ford assembly plant was inaugurated on June 16 in Pursat province amid rising demand for brand-new vehicles among Cambodians. The facility is seen as a game changer for the domestic automobile industry, which could bring a wave of investors seeking to cash

  • Siem Reap’s $18M zoo said to educate public, help wildlife

    Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium Co Ltd has invested $18 million in a zoo in Siem Reap province, which will be opened in October to educate and promote animal conservation as well as attract national and international tourists. Currently, the Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium is building the

  • Angkor photo rules clarified

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) denied that it had banned the use of camera tripods in the Angkor Archaeological Park, explaining that the confusion stemmed from a long-standing rule which required commercial photographers and videographers to apply for permission to film. The explanation followed a

  • Volunteer scheme to foster ‘virtuous’ humanitarian spirit

    A senior education official said volunteer work contributes to solidarity and promotes a virtuous humanitarian spirit among the youth and communities. Serei Chumneas, undersecretary of state at the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, made the comment during the opening of a training programme called “

  • $50B infrastructure plan en route

    The government’s upcoming $50 billion,10-year infrastructure master plan will provide tremendous investment opportunities for domestic and foreign entities, transport experts and economists say. Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol revealed the plan to Japanese ambassador to Cambodia Masahiro Mikami on June 15. At