Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Bavet SEZ hashes out fears with deputy PM

Bavet SEZ hashes out fears with deputy PM

Striking garment workers protest in Bavet in December. AFP
Striking garment workers protest in Bavet in December. AFP

Bavet SEZ hashes out fears with deputy PM

A representative of a Svay Rieng province special economic zone that was rocked by violent strikes in December discussed security and law enforcement during a meeting on Tuesday with Deputy Prime Minister Men Sam An, the province’s ruling party lawmaker.

The Phnom Penh meeting, which was conducted with the Garment Manufacturers Association in Cambodia, comes after thousands of workers went on strike at two Bavet town SEZs over 2016’s minimum wage and repeatedly clashed with police for two weeks in mid-December.

Larry Kao, manager of Manhattan SEZ, which bore the brunt of it, said Sam An acknowledged employers’ concerns, and she responded that employers should “stay more in touch with factories, workers, the people, investors.”

Kao added that while employers are worried about the potential release on bail of some of the 11 workers arrested for the violence, the topic was not raised at the meeting as it was not Sam An’s decision.

“The judiciary’s independent,” Kao said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Archeologists find ancient phallic statue

    An archeological team has found a metre-long tipless stone linga (penis) of the Hindu deity Shiva in the foundations of a temple in Kratie province’s historical Samphu Borak area, a former capital of the pre-Angkor Empire Chenla period. Thuy Chanthourn, the deputy director of

  • Man arrested for fake PM endorsement

    The owner of currency exchange company GCG Asia Co Ltd was temporarily detained by the court yesterday for attempted fraud after Prime Minister Hun Sen reacted to the company using his name and pictures to allege his endorsement of the firm. Phnom Penh Municipal Court

  • Sihanoukville authority orders structure dismantled

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration has ordered owners of two unauthorised construction sites to immediately dismantle them and warned of legal action if the owners failed to comply. Ly Chet Niyom, development management and construction bureau chief at the provincial hall, told The Post on

  • Police seek arrest of Chinese ‘gang’

    Cambodian police remain on the lookout for 20 Chinese nationals who earlier this month posted a video clip threatening to stoke insecurity in Preah Sihanouk province, though the Chinese Embassy in Phnom Penh maintained the group posed no threats to Cambodia’s national security. National Police