Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Breaking: Kingdom spent $40 million this year on Chinese weapons, says PM




Breaking: Kingdom spent $40 million this year on Chinese weapons, says PM

Breaking: Kingdom spent $40 million this year on Chinese weapons, says PM

Prime Minister Hun Sen announced on Monday that Cambodia has spent $40 million this year on weapons from China.

He also urged the US to freeze assets in the US belonging to "corrupt" officials even before the "Cambodia Democracy Act 2019” passed into law.

Hun Sen on Monday inspected the under-construction Morodok Techo National Sports Complex, the main stadium for Cambodia's hosting of the 2023 Southeast Asian Games, which is being financially supported by China and is costing some $170 million.

He revealed the cost of weapons purchases this year came in response to a report by the Wall Street Journal that Cambodia had struck a "secret deal" allowing the Chinese military to use the Ream Naval Base in Preah Sihanouk province on the Gulf of Thailand for 30 years.

"Cambodia and China have no need to sign a secret deal. No need at all. Now I can say frankly that I am transporting [weapons] by ship.

"I have spent $40 million on buying arms from China, in addition to the $200 million previously spent on such purchases,” Hun Sen said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Gov’t exempts visa A and B holders from Covid fees

    Airline passengers who are diplomats and officials of international organisations holding Type A and B visas for travel to Cambodia are exempted from paying Covid-19 testing fees, said the Ministry of Health in its latest adjustment of rules on Wednesday. Health Minister Mam Bun Heng

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that