Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - British organiser of Siem Reap pool party to face trial after other foreigners released

British organiser of Siem Reap pool party to face trial after other foreigners released

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A group of foreigners accused of ‘producing pornography’ last month stand outside a courtroom in Siem Reap province on January 27. Chan Raksmey/AFP

British organiser of Siem Reap pool party to face trial after other foreigners released

The case against a British national swept up in a raid on so-called pornographic dancing at a party in Siem Reap last month is set to proceed to trial, a court spokesman said yesterday, even after nine others arrested alongside him saw their charges dropped last week.

The 10 foreigners were among nearly 80 detained when anti-human trafficking police raided a pool party organised by the group “Let’s Get Wet”. While the bulk of the partygoers were soon released without charge, 10 were held and charged with “producing pornography”, though little evidence has been produced so far to support the accusations, and a local official has admitted the group “did not produce pornographic pictures”.

Nine of those who had been charged were released on bail over the past two weeks and deported to their home countries.

Yin Srang, spokesman for the Siem Reap Provincial Court, confirmed yesterday that the investigating judge had closed the investigation last week and sent the case to trial, with the alleged organiser of the party, British national Daniel Jones, the only one to face charges.

“So, only one will stand trial. For the date of the hearing, we are waiting for the chief of the court to decide,” he said.

Lawyer Sourng Sophea confirmed that he had received a notice last Monday that the case would proceed to trial.

Jones’s sister, Elizabeth, said she did not want to comment on her brother’s imminent trial, but said that his legal team would “vigorously” defend him against the charges, as well as against photos of the alleged “pornographic dancing” disseminated by the police.

At the time of the raid, the National Police released photos alongside those of the suspects, showing men and women in sexually suggestive positions, but fully clothed. The photos also appeared to have been taken at night, while the raided party was during daylight hours. Lawyers representing the 10 claimed that the photos had been taken at another party years ago.

“As you know our legal team is vigorously defending the charges that have been made against Daniel especially the use of archived images that are more than 3 years old,” Elizabeth Jones said in a message yesterday.

One of the partygoers who was immediately released also told The Post earlier this month that the party did not involve any nudity or drugs.

Additional reporting by Ananth Baliga

MOST VIEWED

  • First deportees of the year touch down in Cambodia

    Twenty-five Cambodian-Americans landed in Phnom Penh on Wednesday, marking the first such deportations of the year. “On Wednesday, US law enforcement authorities deported 25 Cambodian nationals that immigration judges determined had no legal basis to remain in the US,” said Arend Zwartjes, spokesperson for the US

  • Qatar Airways to connect Doha and Siem Reap town

    Qatar Airways Company QCSC has announced a new route connecting Qatar’s capital Doha with Siem Reap, a move hailed by local officials as a significant step to boost tourist numbers. A Qatar Airways representative, speaking at the Kuwait Aviation Show, announced on Thursday that

  • Sokha defence denies Tech’s claims

    ON DAY two of Kem Sokha’s treason trial, lawyers for the government said the defence had raised questions in an attempt to allow their client to make a public statement and a conclusion to the case, something his legal team denied. Ky Tech, a

  • Call for boycott of Angkor unacceptable

    Dear Editor, I wish to express my strong disagreement on the article published by Traveller for their website with the title Best places to go in 2020: 12 destinations you should avoid. Below is my opinion of the article. It is obviously free for the Traveller to

  • Probe underway after wreckage of drone with Chinese characters found

    Air Force Command spokesman Prak Sokha said on Sunday that investigations are underway regarding the wreckage of a drone that was recovered in Koh Kong province’s Koh Sdech commune in Kiri Sakor district. The wreckage has been taken to the capital for further examination,

  • Gov’t slams UN rapporteurs over Sokha trial statement

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation and the Permanent Mission of the Kingdom of Cambodia to the UN Office in Geneva deplored the statement of three UN special rapporteurs who claimed that Kem Sokha’s trial was “tainted” due to irregularities. The reaction