Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Buildings to be razed next week: Apsara

Buildings to be razed next week: Apsara

Apsara Authority officials speak to the press yesterday on demolishing illegal construction sites in Siem Reap province. Facebook
Apsara Authority officials speak to the press yesterday on demolishing illegal construction sites in Siem Reap province. Facebook

Buildings to be razed next week: Apsara

The director-general of the Apsara Authority and the deputy governor of Siem Reap announced yesterday that all “illegal constructions” inside the Angkor Archaeological Park will be destroyed next week, with any protests inside the park to be suppressed.

Speaking at a press conference in Siem Reap, Apsara Authority Director General Sum Map said 521 illegal construc-tion sites had been identified – most built during the commune election campaign – and that while authorities were eager to avoid unrest then, it would be different next week.

“If the negative impacts keep going on, we will face the withdrawal from the [Unesco] World Heritage List, and you all know about the disadvantages that would have for the reputation of our country, the economy and our people’s jobs,” Map said.

“Some of those people are vendors and we can see the constructions are not for shelter,” he said. “We have to fight against this illegal construction and illegal land-grabbing.”

Siem Reap Deputy Governor Ly Samrith said at the press conference he would ensure that “security forces” would demolish any illegal constructions that are still standing next week and would suppress any “standoff”.

“This work is for protecting our heritage and if there are any protests, what are they for?” Samrith said. “We prepared security forces already; we will not allow any standoff to happen against the heritage protection work.

Kokchak commune resident Mo Line said that he believed that his house inside the park was illegal but had not received any further information. “I have not dismantled my hut yet,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will