Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Conspiracy trial set to start for former PPenh police chief Heng Pov

Conspiracy trial set to start for former PPenh police chief Heng Pov

Conspiracy trial set to start for former PPenh police chief Heng Pov

Sentenced to decades in prison, disgraced cop faces more time behind bars if convicted of plans to murder Military Police Chief Sao Sokha

HENG Pov, Phnom Penh's former police chief who is serving 58 years behind bars for an array of criminal convictions, is expected to go to trial today on charges of conspiring to  murder Military Police Chief Sao Sokha in 2006.

The disgraced top cop's lawyer Kao Soupha told the Post that he doubted his client would receive a fair trial because the court's investigator, Interior Ministry Penal Police Chief Mok Chito, had a long-standing personal dispute with Heng Pov.

"Mok Chito ... has personal conflicts with Heng Pov, so the accusation is unfair," he said.

Mok Chito denied the claim, saying that he had no personal  or professional disagreements with Heng Pov, his former colleague.

"I have no problem with him," he told the Post last week. "He became angry with me when I investigated and found out that he was involved in criminal behaviour when he was my deputy police chief," he added.

Sao Sokha told the Post Sunday that he will not attend today's trial, but will send a colleague to represent him.

"I have no lawyer for my lawsuit but I will  send a representative to the court to defend my complaint," he said.

"My colleague knows this case because he was a witness to the suspect's confession," Sao Sokha added.

Heng Pov was arrested in 2006 in Malaysia, following a six-month bid for political asylum during which he blamed late National Police chief Hok Lundy for a battery of crimes.

Heng Pov has already been convicted of counterfeiting, illegal arrests, murder and extortion. 

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Education’ a priority traffic-law penalty

    A top National Police official on June 21 neither rejected nor confirmed the authenticity of a leaked audio message, which has gone viral on social media, on a waiver of fines for a number of road traffic-related offences. General Him Yan, deputy National Police chief in

  • Pursat Ford assembly plant opens

    The Kingdom’s first Ford assembly plant was inaugurated on June 16 in Pursat province amid rising demand for brand-new vehicles among Cambodians. The facility is seen as a game changer for the domestic automobile industry, which could bring a wave of investors seeking to cash

  • Volunteer scheme to foster ‘virtuous’ humanitarian spirit

    A senior education official said volunteer work contributes to solidarity and promotes a virtuous humanitarian spirit among the youth and communities. Serei Chumneas, undersecretary of state at the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, made the comment during the opening of a training programme called “

  • Siem Reap’s $18M zoo said to educate public, help wildlife

    Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium Co Ltd has invested $18 million in a zoo in Siem Reap province, which will be opened in October to educate and promote animal conservation as well as attract national and international tourists. Currently, the Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium is building the

  • Angkor photo rules clarified

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) denied that it had banned the use of camera tripods in the Angkor Archaeological Park, explaining that the confusion stemmed from a long-standing rule which required commercial photographers and videographers to apply for permission to film. The explanation followed a

  • $50B infrastructure plan en route

    The government’s upcoming $50 billion,10-year infrastructure master plan will provide tremendous investment opportunities for domestic and foreign entities, transport experts and economists say. Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol revealed the plan to Japanese ambassador to Cambodia Masahiro Mikami on June 15. At