Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Court questions the Rock owner in drug raid case

Court questions the Rock owner in drug raid case

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A total of 27 people are standing trial after a crackdown on the club in February last year. Heng Chivoan

Court questions the Rock owner in drug raid case

The case against Oknha Kith Theang, the owner of Rock Entertainment Centre in Phnom Penh, and his associates continued on Tuesday at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court.

Theang and three women were questioned during the hearing.

A total of 27 people are standing trial after a crackdown on the club in February last year in which 311 people were arrested and 50kg of drugs confiscated.

Chief judge Im Vannak and another unidentified judge presided over the hearing on Tuesday, which was closed to the public due to the fact that some of the accused were minors. At least six defence lawyers were seen at the hearing prosecuted by Sok Keo Bandit.

A lawyer who asked not to be named told The Post that two of the 27 suspects are minors but that they have already been questioned at a previous hearing.

“In today’s hearing there was no minor, so I’m not sure why the judge wanted a closed-door session,” the lawyer said.

Reached on the phone, Suong Chan Thorn, a lawyer for Theang, told The Post he did not know any details of what happened during the trial.

The hearing will continue on March 25.

On February 23, a joint force led by Phnom Penh Municipal Police chief and National Police deputy chief Sar Thet worked with deputy prosecutor Ly Sophana to raid the Rock Entertainment Centre, in Phnom Penh’s Chamkarmon district.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Education’ a priority traffic-law penalty

    A top National Police official on June 21 neither rejected nor confirmed the authenticity of a leaked audio message, which has gone viral on social media, on a waiver of fines for a number of road traffic-related offences. General Him Yan, deputy National Police chief in

  • Pursat Ford assembly plant opens

    The Kingdom’s first Ford assembly plant was inaugurated on June 16 in Pursat province amid rising demand for brand-new vehicles among Cambodians. The facility is seen as a game changer for the domestic automobile industry, which could bring a wave of investors seeking to cash

  • Volunteer scheme to foster ‘virtuous’ humanitarian spirit

    A senior education official said volunteer work contributes to solidarity and promotes a virtuous humanitarian spirit among the youth and communities. Serei Chumneas, undersecretary of state at the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, made the comment during the opening of a training programme called “

  • Siem Reap’s $18M zoo said to educate public, help wildlife

    Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium Co Ltd has invested $18 million in a zoo in Siem Reap province, which will be opened in October to educate and promote animal conservation as well as attract national and international tourists. Currently, the Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium is building the

  • Angkor photo rules clarified

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) denied that it had banned the use of camera tripods in the Angkor Archaeological Park, explaining that the confusion stemmed from a long-standing rule which required commercial photographers and videographers to apply for permission to film. The explanation followed a

  • $50B infrastructure plan en route

    The government’s upcoming $50 billion,10-year infrastructure master plan will provide tremendous investment opportunities for domestic and foreign entities, transport experts and economists say. Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol revealed the plan to Japanese ambassador to Cambodia Masahiro Mikami on June 15. At