Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Crackdown nets over 1,000 illegal Chinese

Crackdown nets over 1,000 illegal Chinese

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
At least 1,273 Chinese nationals have been found working without valid work permits. Heng Chivoan

Crackdown nets over 1,000 illegal Chinese

A Joint task force, which included the Svay Rieng provincial department of labour and vocational training, has fined over 1,000 Chinese nationals who live and work illegally in Bavet town, the department director Has Bunthy told The Post on Thursday.

He said since the force launched an immigration crackdown on November 11, at least 1,273 Chinese nationals have been found working without valid work permits.

This, he said, was despite them holding a business/ordinary visa (type E) with which foreigners are allowed to seek employment and carry out commercial activities provided they have the relevant permits.

“The authority did not detain any of them. But, we ordered them to pay fines as they violated the Kingdom’s immigration laws."

“Some of them have already paid and signed up for work permits,” he said, adding that the crackdown, which will be completed on December 31, targets foreigners working in casinos, hotels and factories.

Labour department deputy director Ou Sokhoeun said that since early this year, some 11,015 foreigners from 26 nationalities have registered for work permits. More than 8,000 foreigners, he said, worked illegally without permits.

As part of the crackdown, Bavet town police deputy chief Kouy Yoeung said he had already sent all reports of the crackdown to the Ministry of Interior’s labour department.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will