Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Extortion charge for man who ‘posted revenge porn’

Extortion charge for man who ‘posted revenge porn’

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Ran Sokhun (above), a 23-year-old former student, has been charged with extortion after allegedly posting intimate photographs of his ex-girlfriend on a group chat and trying to coerce $500 from her. FACEBOOK

Extortion charge for man who ‘posted revenge porn’

The Phnom Penh Municipal Court charged a 23-year-old former student with extortion over a case of revenge porn that saw him allegedly post intimate photographs of his ex-girlfriend on a group chat and try to coerce $500 from her.

Phnom Penh Municipal Court spokesperson Kuch Kimlong said on Sunday that Ran Sokhun had confessed to the accusations against him, but disputed some matters with regards to his 20-year-old victim’s account of the crimes.

Police records said that Sokhun had received several intimate photographs from the victim while the couple were engaged in a two-year romantic relationship from 2016 until the end of last year, when a “disagreement” caused the couple to go their separate ways.

Shortly after the breakup, Sokhun privately forwarded a series of photographs and videos taken during their relationship to the victim and demanded that she pay him $500 to make them go away.

The court records said that in November of last year, the families of the couple had agreed to a contract stating that Sokhun would delete the photographs and videos from his phone and agree never to post them online.

However, according to court records, Sokhun breached the conditions of the agreement at 7:15am on Thursday when he shared the content on a Facebook Messenger group chat.

Sokhun was apprehended at 6pm the same day after the victim’s family reached out to the suspect to meet at Niroth Pagoda in Chbar Ampov district’s Nirouth commune.

Kimlong said that a case file had been forwarded to an investigating judge.

“The prosecutor charged the person and sent the case to the investigatiing judge for a final decision,” he told The Post.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom’s domestic milk still cannot compete with imports

    Price competition and a lack of confidence by consumers are the main reasons the dairy market cannot compete with imports, said domestic milk producers. The large displays of imported fresh milk at the Kingdom’s supermarkets present a cumbersome obstacle for local producers, they said.

  • ‘Pesticide-laden cucumbers’ kill two, poison 150 in Banteay Meanchey

    At least two youths have died and 243 others are being treated for vomiting, diarrhoea, breathing difficulties, dizziness and muscle weakness after they ate cucumbers suspected to consist of pesticides. The incident happened on Saturday, said Banteay Meanchey provincial police chief Ath Khem. He told The

  • Three dead, 13 injured in collapse at Siem Reap pagoda

    At least three people were killed and more than 10 others injured on Monday after a dining hall under construction collapsed at Prasat Kokchak pagoda in Kokchak commune, Siem Reap province. Provincial police chief Tith Narong said Military Police, soldiers and local volunteers had successfully recovered 16

  • Forest Harmony’s $18M luxury villas break ground in Kampot

    Local and French joint-venture Forest Harmony has broken ground on its $18 million “second-home” Luxury Holiday Villas project in Kampot province. Century 21 Mekong CEO and local shareholder of the project Chrek Soknim told The Post that the project will comprise 90 villa units covering 18ha on a 97

  • China Unicom enters Cambodia

    China Unicom, the country’s largest telecoms operator, has expanded into Cambodia to build optical telecommunication pathways in the Kingdom as part of the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI). The Hong Kong-listed company officially opened its China Unicom (Cambodia) subsidiary on Monday to become the

  • PP-SHV Expressway on track for completion in early 2023

    The construction of the $1.9 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway, which broke ground at the end of March, is on track to be completed by early 2023, Ministry of Public Works and Transport spokesman Vasim Sorya said on Monday. The 190km high-speed highway linking the capital to the