Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Japan funds project to mitigate disaster effects




Japan funds project to mitigate disaster effects

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Japanese Ambassador Horinouchi Hidehisa (front right) attends the signing ceremony of grant provision to assist a project aimed at mitigating the impacts of natural disasters. WFP

Japan funds project to mitigate disaster effects

The Japanese government on Thursday provided a 300 million yen ($2.7 million) grant to commence the Project for the Development of the Base for Disaster Prevention for Improving Living Environment in Cambodia, which aims to minimise the effects of natural disasters.

The project will enhance risk reduction mechanisms through improving access to safe evacuation sites and life-saving information, with the Kingdom ranked among the most climate-vulnerable countries on the planet.

The grant will allow the UN’s World Food Programme (WFP) and partners, particularly the National Committee for Disaster Management (NCDM), to mitigate the effects of natural disasters, the WFP said.

“We, on behalf of the government, have received humanitarian assistance from the Japanese government through the WFP and will effectively handle each target and support people affected,” Nhim Vanda, the first vice-president of the NCDM, said at Thursday’s signing ceremony.

Japanese Ambassador Horinouchi Hidehisa said: “WFP will mitigate the impact on local communities in flood-prone areas by enhancing risk reduction mechanisms and improving access to safe evacuation sites and life-saving information.

“The grant will contribute to preventing climate change and mitigating its impacts, which are essential for sustainable development and economic growth.”

Vanda, a senior minister, added that Cambodia had been hit by climate change-driven natural disasters last year, leading to evacuation sites facing difficulties and roads needing to be repaired.

Cambodia is considered at high risk of natural disasters and highly impacted by climate change, WFP country director Francesca Erdelmann said at the ceremony.

“Together we will build and improve infrastructure, such as safe evacuation sites, in flood-prone provinces to protect lives and livelihoods during disasters and strengthen the capacity of local government and communities to prepare for floods,” she said.

The project, implemented by WFP with collaboration from the NCDM, will last one year.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Potential shield’ for virus hangs in balance

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) suspended trials of the drug that US president Donald Trump has promoted as a coronavirus defence, fuelling concerns about his handling of the pandemic that has killed nearly 100,000 US citizens. Trump has led the push for hydroxychloroquine as a potential

  • Gov’t rolls out stimulus to keep businesses afloat

    The government has introduced the fourth round of stimulus measures aimed at ensuring economic and social stability during the outbreak of the Covid-19 disease. The move, which was announced on Tuesday, is designed to help businesses, factories and enterprises to stay afloat while reducing the

  • E-cigarette back in spotlight amid virus pandemic

    The Ministry of Health’s Department of Communicable Disease (DCD) department has released a video about the effects of smoking, while the NGO Cambodia Movement for Health (CMH) warned against the use of electronic cigarettes or vape. The short video clip that was posted on

  • Por Sen Chey woman murdered

    Por Sen Chey district police are searching for a suspect who robbed and killed a woman in a rented room in Samraong Kraom commune in Phnom Penh at 6:30pm on Monday. Deputy district police chief Chea Sovann told The Post on Tuesday that the victim,

  • Police chief: remove all roadblocks

    National Police chief Neth Savoeun warned Phnom Penh and provincial police chiefs to remove all roadblocks, saying that traffic police officials in some provinces had tightened traffic law implementation against guidelines. In a leaked voice message which was shared on social media on Tuesday, Savoeun

  • Man held for violating daughter and niece

    Kandal Anti-Human Trafficking and Juvenile Protection Department officers sent a man to the provincial court on Tuesday after arresting him the day before for allegedly molesting his daughter and niece in Sa’ang district. Department chief Ros Savin said the 30-year-old construction worker was questioned