Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Kandal man in court for ‘rape’ of daughter, 10



Kandal man in court for ‘rape’ of daughter, 10

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The Kandal Provincial Court has placed a 35-year-old man in pre-trial detention after he was arrested for allegedly raping his 10-year-old daughter four times. Police

Kandal man in court for ‘rape’ of daughter, 10

The Kandal Provincial Court has placed a 35-year-old man in pre-trial detention after he was arrested for allegedly raping his 10-year-old daughter four times.

Kien Svay district police arrested the suspect on Tuesday after a complaint was filed by the victim’s mother. The alleged rapes occurred in Dei Ith commune.

District police chief Prum Samnang told The Post on Tuesday the police have completed their questioning.

“Now that we have sent the suspect to court, the case will be prosecuted,” he said.

Citing the suspect’s wife, commune police chief Choeurn Sarom said the family argued frequently and she always went to sleep at her mother’s house.

“She didn’t know her husband had raped the daughter. The girl had never told her until late last month. Still, the mother wanted to consider it with the family before filing a complaint. They decided to lodge the complaint with the police on Monday,” he said.

Police immediately brought the suspect in for questioning but he refused to confess. The girl told police in a statement she had been raped four times since 2018. She said her father threatened to kill her if she told anyone.

“Even though the suspect didn’t confess, the girl’s statement could point to his guilt. It is in the hands of the court now,” Sarom said.

Provincial court spokesman Sou Sarin confirmed on Wednesday the suspect had been charged with rape.

“He has been charged under Article 239 of the Criminal Code,” he said.

The suspect faces up to 10 years in prison if found guilty.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • More than 5K workers rush from Thailand amid outbreak

    Following the recent outbreak of Covid-19 in Thailand’s Samut Sakhon province, Cambodian migrants working in Thailand were gripped by worry over the situation and many rushed to return to their homeland. Over the past 10 days, more than 5,000 migrant workers have returned from Thailand through

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could