Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Kratie seize nearly 500 timber logs

Kratie seize nearly 500 timber logs

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Millitary polices crack down the illegal logging in Kratie provinec. Supplied

Kratie seize nearly 500 timber logs

Kratie provincial Military Police seized nearly 500 first grade timber logs on Thursday at an economic land concession (ELC) in Chitr Borei district’s Dar commune.

A Military Policeman, who asked not to be named as he is not authorised to talk to the media, claimed a trader had hidden the timber at the site.

The police received a tip-off about it, he said, and went to inspect the scene but did not find anyone who would take responsibility for the logs.

“We raided the site where the timber was being stored today,” he said.

According to Fresh News, the crackdown was led by district Military Police commander Im Chetra, working together with the local forestry administration.

Police recorded 481 logs, or some three cubic metres, of sokram wood (Burma ironwood) and surmised that the timber had been hidden there waiting for a good opportunity to transport it to sell elsewhere illegally.

The timber was confiscated and impounded at a safe place. Neither the source of the timber nor the name of the ELC was reported.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • Shanxi wins bid to build sections of new Siem Reap airport

    Shanxi Mechanization Construction Group recently won the bid to build two sections of the new Siem Reap Angkor International Airport project in Cambodia for 290 million yuan ($42.16 million). The existing Angkor International Airport in Siem Reap, 5km from the famous ancient temple complex and world tourism

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said