Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Malaysian killed in Bavet



Malaysian killed in Bavet

Malaysian killed in Bavet

Bavet town police arrested a man on Tuesday on suspicion of murder after the body of a Malaysian man was found dead in a night market bathroom in the early hours of Monday.

The body of 63-year-old Carsen Tion Kai Seng displayed severe injuries, leading to suspicions of homicide, a police official in Svay Rieng province’s Bavet Town said.

Bavet’s police chief, Keo Kong, told The Post that the Malaysian entered Cambodia via the Bavet-Moc Bai border with Vietnam on June 2. He was found dead at 2:32am on Monday in the night market bathroom with serious injuries on his head and eyes.

Kong said an autopsy revealed a 10cm-by-6cm wound on the head and a 6cm-by-3cm bruise around the left eye, suggesting the victim had been struck and slashed with a sharp object.

“An autopsy led the authorities to conclude that the victim’s death was the result of murder, and an investigation was immediately launched,” Kong said.

Meanwhile, Bavet Town Deputy Military Police Commander Ouk Sisen said a joint-operation launched by his officers and Bavet police ended in the arrest of a suspect who is believed to have killed Tion. The suspect was sent for interrogation.

“We have arrested a man on the suspicion of committing the murder, and he was sent to the provincial Military Police command base for interrogation,” said Sisen.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • More than 5K workers rush from Thailand amid outbreak

    Following the recent outbreak of Covid-19 in Thailand’s Samut Sakhon province, Cambodian migrants working in Thailand were gripped by worry over the situation and many rushed to return to their homeland. Over the past 10 days, more than 5,000 migrant workers have returned from Thailand through

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could