Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Man beheaded in fireworks accident




Man beheaded in fireworks accident

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A 50-year-old man was beheaded on Thursday in a fireworks accident in Takeo province’s Bati district. Police

Man beheaded in fireworks accident

A 50-year-old man was beheaded on Thursday in a fireworks accident in Takeo province’s Bati district.

Bati deputy police chief Khuth Lou identified the victim as Keo Chhin, a fireworks maker living in Kandoeng commune.

Chhin had been making fireworks used in traditional ceremonies for years, having learned the trade from his parents, Lou said.

He already suffered a fireworks accident a few years ago but did not sustain any injuries at that time.

On Thursday morning, while his wife was at the market and his children were in school, the victim started working in his workshop as usual. At about 9am, a loud explosion was heard across the area. When villagers came to the source of the sound, they found the headless body of the victim.

“Police went in to examine the body. The man had mixed explosive powder using the wrong technique, and it exploded, killing him on the spot,” Lou said, adding that the victim was alone at the time.

Lou said there are other workshops making fireworks in the district without a permit.

He said the authorities have tried to educate people about the dangers of handling fireworks and explosive materials and have banned children from entering workshops that produce fireworks.

Kraing Khnong commune police chief Nuth Phuong said the explosion occurred when Chhin hit the tube he was working on with a hard object to compact the explosive powder.

MOST VIEWED

  • Body of woman killed in Bangkok returns

    The Cambodian embassy in Thailand is working to repatriate the body of a casino dealer who was shot dead in Bangkok on Monday night. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesman Kuy Kuong told The Post on Wednesday that officials are preparing paperwork to

  • Chikungunya hits 15 provinces, says gov’t

    Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said on Thursday that the chikungunya outbreak in the Kingdom has spread to 15 provinces. Some 1,700 people are now suspected to have the disease. Vandine urged people to prevent its further spread by eliminating shelters for the Aedes aegypti mosquitoes

  • Gov’t exempts visa A and B holders from Covid fees

    Airline passengers who are diplomats and officials of international organisations holding Type A and B visas for travel to Cambodia are exempted from paying Covid-19 testing fees, said the Ministry of Health in its latest adjustment of rules on Wednesday. Health Minister Mam Bun Heng

  • Bill covering dress code draws ire

    Ministry of Interior secretary of state Ouk Kim Lek responded on Tuesday to criticism concerning a draft law that would ban women from wearing overly revealing clothing, saying that input from all parties will be considered as the law moves through the promulgation process. Several

  • Police arrest 29 Chinese for PP kidnapping

    Phnom Penh Military Police arrested 29 Chinese nationals on kidnapping charges on Wednesday. The suspects are said to have abducted three other Chinese nationals from a hotel in Chaktomuk commune, Daun Penh district. The operation took place on Wednesday and was led by two deputy commanders –

  • What’s the deal with Cambodia and China’s FTA?

    Cambodia’s Free Trade Agreement (FTA) with China kicks off a series of FTAs in future but for now, critics wonder what else the parties could bring to the table apart from what it already has to date By the end of this year, Cambodia