Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - MoI says Kem Ley murder probe slowed by ‘stubborn suspect’

MoI says Kem Ley murder probe slowed by ‘stubborn suspect’

Phnom Penh police stand next to Oeut Ang, the alleged murderer of political analyst Kem Ley, after he was arrested last month. Photo supplied
Phnom Penh police stand next to Oeut Ang, the alleged murderer of political analyst Kem Ley, after he was arrested last month. Photo supplied

MoI says Kem Ley murder probe slowed by ‘stubborn suspect’

The Ministry of Interior yesterday blamed the lack of progress in the investigation into the murder of political analyst Kem Ley on the reluctance of chief suspect “Choub Samlab”, suggesting former Khmer Rouge torture chief Kaing Guek Eav, aka Duch, might be able to loosen his tongue.

More than a month has passed since the high-profile killing, allegedly committed by Oeut Ang, who identified himself by the alias translating to “meet to kill”.

Ministry spokesman Khieu Sopheak said no other suspects had been arrested.

“I hope the court will hold the trial very soon and it is a public trial,” Sopheak said. “Samdech [Sar Kheng] did not believe his name was really Choub Samlab. There is no parent who would name their child Choub Samlab.

“[He] did not confess and was stubborn, because, from what I understand, our law cannot do anything to him unless we do it in a peaceful way. What I understand is, if we call in Comrade Duch, he would make a confession.”

At least 12,000 people lost their lives at the S-21 prison under Duch’s command, with many subjected to torture to extract confessions.

Political analyst Ou Virak said the jibe was “not appropriate”.

“We have got to take the case seriously. This is a killing and the family deserves justice,” he said. “They need to build transparency that is lacking now. I think most people do not have confidence in the investigation.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Time to avert disastrous Covid situation: officials

    The Covid-19 situation in Cambodia is heading towards further large-scale community transmission as the total number of confirmed cases is nearing 61,000 and the death toll passed 900 on July 10, senior health officials warned. Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine expressed concern that the country was going

  • Visa A holders get to quarantine at Himawari Hotel

    The Ministry of Health has permitted foreign diplomats, UN and International NGO officials to undergo quarantine at Himawari Hotel in the capital in case they do not have a separate place suitable for this purpose, but the government would not be responsible for the expenses.

  • Baby saved as mother is lost to Covid

    Newborn baby Neth David has had a rough start in the world. His mother, Vong Daneth, was seven months pregnant when she contracted a severe case of Covid-19. When it became clear to her doctors that she would not survive, they performed a cesarean section

  • Jabs for kids bring hope for school reopenings

    Cambodia is tentatively planning to reopen schools – at least at the secondary level – when the vaccination of children aged 12-17 is completed, even though daily transmissions and deaths in other age groups remain high. Schools across the country have been suspended since March 20, one month

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Hun Sen: Get 12-17 age group ready for Covid jabs

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has told parents of children aged 12-17 in Phnom Penh and the provinces of Kandal and Preah Sihanouk to get them ready for vaccinations soon. “There is a need to vaccinate children and youths aged 12 to 17. According to the statistics provided