Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - New Angkor pass for foreigners

New Angkor pass for foreigners

Tourists explore the Angkor Wat temple complex earlier this year in Siem Reap province.
Tourists explore the Angkor Wat temple complex earlier this year in Siem Reap province.

New Angkor pass for foreigners

Foreigners who live in Cambodia and work in the tourism industry can now buy long-term entry passes for Angkor Wat, according to a new sub-decree by the Ministry of Economy and Finance and the Ministry of Tourism.

The new prakas, signed on August 25 and published in this month’s Royal Book, allows foreigners who have work permits and work for tourism companies registered with the Ministry of Commerce to buy one-, three- and six-month passes. The passes cost $100, $150, and $200, respectively. An ordinary day-pass costs $37.

Their companies have to also be registered with the Finance Ministry’s Tax Department and have a licence from the Ministry of Tourism.

Ly Se, general director of the Ministry of Finance’s Angkor Enterprise, which is responsible for managing Angkor Wat’s budget, said that some people had complained. “Before this, they bought ordinary tickets, but they had problems, because they brought many guests to the place . . . To make it easier for them, we permit them to buy long-term passes,” he said. “We don’t allow individuals to buy them, they are from the companies.”

Se said about 200 people would be eligible for the passes, and that so far about 30 to 40 people had bought them.

Ly Hean, president of the Khmer Angkor Tour Guide Association, said he didn’t expect any negative impact on local guides. “I don’t think it affects the local tour guides very much,” he said, noting there are relatively few foreign guides.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will