Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - PM asked to clarify border issue

PM asked to clarify border issue

PM asked to clarify border issue

In what could lead to a sequel to his five-hour speech in the National Assembly in 2012, Prime Minister Hun Sen has been asked by an opposition lawmaker to answer questions in parliament over alleged border encroachment in Mondulkiri province.

Mao Monivann, a Cambodian National Rescue Party lawmaker, visited the Vietnamese border last month. Since returning, he has drafted a letter to National Assembly President Heng Samrin asking Hun Sen to explain the status of the Dak Dam checkpoint in O’Raing district.

“A speech from [Hun Sen] … stated that Dak Dam … has not yet been agreed upon by both countries,” says the letter, dated Tuesday. Vietnam, the letter alleges, has continued to treat the area as its own, including constructing a road there, despite a 2005 treaty leaving ownership unresolved.

“Please, Prime Minister, clarify this for Cambodian citizens,” Monivann wrote.

In August 2012, Hun Sen took centre stage at the National Assembly to address concerns over a demarcation deal with Vietnam. In a 320-minute address – supposedly a personal record – he explained that the two countries had agreed to compensate each other with unoccupied land for villagers that lay in the opposing country’s boundaries.

The speech was littered with vitriol against the opposition. At the time, opposition lawmaker Son Chhay said it was the first time in almost 20 years that Hun Sen had answered a written question in parliament.

Var Kimhong, the senior minister in charge of border affairs, said yesterday that Cambodia was still working towards resolving the Dak Dam issue.

“We do not have a plan to go there. We have a plan to have round-table talks,” Kim Hong said.

He added Hun Sen was unlikely to address the issue in parliament and suggested he may do it himself.

The Vietnamese Embassy in Phnom Penh could not be reached.

MOST VIEWED

  • Prince Norodom Ranariddh passes away at 77

    Prince Norodom Ranariddh, the second son of the late King Father Norodom Sihanouk and former First Prime Minister of Cambodia, has passed away in France at the age of 77. “Samdech Krom Preah Norodom Ranariddh has passed away this morning in France just after 9am Paris-time,”

  • Cambodia purchases 4 million Molnupiravir tablets

    Cambodia has arranged for the purchase of four million US-made Molnupiravir pills – enough to treat 100,000 Covid-19 patients – even though the current rate of daily infections in Cambodia remains low. The medicine will be distributed to state hospitals, pharmacies and private clinics, according to the Samdech

  • Rise in planned flights lifts travel hopes

    Six airlines have applied to resume flights in December, while two others have put in for additional flights and routes, according to State Secretariat of Civil Aviation (SSCA) head Mao Havannall on November 29. These account for 43 new weekly domestic and international flights in December, up 16

  • General’s gun smuggling ring busted

    The Military Police sent six military officers to court on November 22 to face prosecution for possession of 105 illegal rifles and arms smuggling, while investigators say they are still hunting down additional accomplices. Sao Sokha, deputy commander of the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces and commander of

  • Is Cambodia’s travel sector in for another cheerless holiday season?

    The travel and tourism sector was heaving back to life as borders started to reopen, promising a festive vibe for the holidays and New Year. But Omicron and other Covid-related issues are threatening to close the year on a bleak note ‘Seems [like] Covid-19 won’

  • Cambodia, Thailand to discuss border reopening

    Cambodian authorities from provinces along the Cambodia-Thailand border will meet with Thai counterparts to discuss reopening border checkpoints to facilitate travel, transfer of products and cross-border trade between the two countries. Banteay Meanchey provincial deputy governor Ly Sary said on November 22 that the provincial administration