Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Police deny shooting at Veng Sreng

Police deny shooting at Veng Sreng

Men sit with their hands bound after being arrested by military police for their involvement in deadly clashes on Veng Sreng Boulevard in 2014. RFA
Men sit with their hands bound after being arrested by military police for their involvement in deadly clashes on Veng Sreng Boulevard in 2014. RFA

Police deny shooting at Veng Sreng

Despite the absence of the defendants and their lawyers, the Appeal Court yesterday heard the case of 13 demonstrators convicted over a violent minimum wage protest on the capital’s Veng Sreng Boulevard in January 2014, where security forces allegedly shot to death at least four people and wounded many others.

Appeal Court judge Chay Chandaravan confirmed the hearing went ahead, though the group, who were released from custody in May 2014, after being handed suspended sentences for intentional violence, were not in attendance.

Instead, police and military officers present at the rally were given the chance to testify against the men, according to Licadho’s Am Sam Ath, who was in the court room.

“Only police and military police testified, putting the blame and responsibility on the workers,” Sam Ath said, adding that the prosecutor also pushed for the conviction to be upheld.

Four people were killed when security forces allegedly opened fire at the rally. One man is missing and presumed dead.

However, Sam Ath said officers from both the police and military yesterday denied their men fired at protesters, despite numerous witnesses who saw armed security forces discharge live ammunition into the crowd.

“Police said they only used shields, truncheons and tear gas and did not kill any workers,” he said.

Contacted yesterday, the group’s lawyer, Ham Sunrith, said he was unable to inform his clients of the hearing in time because they had changed residences.

A verdict is due on February 4.

MOST VIEWED

  • NY sisters inspired by Khmer heritage

    Growing up in Brooklyn, New York, Cambodian-American sisters Edo and Eyen Chorm have always felt a deep affinity for their Cambodian heritage and roots. When the pair launched their own EdoEyen namesake jewellery brand in June, 2020, they leaned heavily into designs inspired by ancient Khmer

  • Schools drawn into Manet degree row

    Prime Minister Hun Sen stepped into the Hun Manet-Sam Rainsy war of words over the validity of Manet’s degree from the US Military Academy at West Point, set off by Rainsy’s claims that Manet had received a “second-class degree” or “honorary degree”. Hun

  • Cambodia records first Omicron community case

    The Ministry of Health on January 9 reported 30 new Covid-19 cases, 29 of which were imported and all were confirmed to be the Omicron variant. The ministry also reported 11 recoveries and no new deaths. Earlier on January 9, the ministry also announced that it had detected the Kingdom's

  • The effects of the USD interest rate hike on Cambodian economy

    Experts weigh in on the effect of a potential interest rate expansion by the US Federal Reserve on a highly dollarised Cambodia Anticipation of the US Federal Reserve’s interest rate hike in March is putting developing economies on edge, a recent blog post by

  • PM eyes Myanmar peace troika

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has suggested that ASEAN member states establish a tripartite committee or diplomatic troika consisting of representatives from Cambodia, Brunei and Indonesia that would be tasked with mediating a ceasefire in Myanmar. The premier also requested that Nippon Foundation chairman Yohei Sasakawa

  • Kampot tourism quay ‘90% done’

    Construction on Kampot International Tourism Port – a 4ha quay in Teuk Chhou district about 6km west of Kampot town – has fallen off track, reaching 90 per cent completion, according to a senior Ministry of Tourism official last week. The project is now planned to be finished