Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - PP container thieves have case heard at Appeal Court




PP container thieves have case heard at Appeal Court

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The Appeal Court. Post Pix

PP container thieves have case heard at Appeal Court

The Appeal Court on Tuesday heard the case of three people who were sentenced along with three others to six years’ imprisonment for attempting to force open a container to steal goods in Phnom Penh in 2016.

In the courtroom, one of the convicted men, Horm Brya, 25, told the judge that he had been a container truck driver for So Nguon Group for six years.

Brya said on November 11, 2016, his company had told him to drive the container to the port in Phnom Penh, but instead, he accidentally headed towards Preah Sihanouk province.

He said a man who he knew only as Kong – a foreman at So Nguon Dry Port – then tried to make him force open the container so he could steal its contents.

He said the foreman told two men – Thy Tith Eng, 38, and a 22-year-old man known as Roeurn – to wait at a location in Kampong Speu province to receive the stolen goods.

Meanwhile, Brya’s trucking company had alerted the authorities and he was arrested.

He said the Phnom Penh Municipal Court delivered its verdict on December 7, 2017, handing down a six-year jail term to all the suspects for attempted theft with aggravated circumstances according to Article 357 of the Criminal Code.

“I was told by Kong to force open the container but on that day I was really confused and had taken the container in the wrong direction. I request the judge to reduce my sentence,” Brya said.

Tith Eng told the judge that he and Roeurn were called by Kong to carry some stolen goods in Kampong Speu province, but when they arrived, Kong told them to leave the area because the company had been made aware of the plot.

“We filed a complaint with the Appeal Court as the sentences the lower court gave us were too heavy especially considering we were unsuccessful in our attempt to steal the goods."

“We have only stolen from containers two or three times. I request the court to give us a three-year sentence,” he said.

Prosecutor Tan Senarong said the appellants had not managed to steal from this container, but their behaviour should not be tolerated because it affected the country’s image.

“Stealing goods from containers affect Cambodia’s image. Sometimes when the containers arrive in other countries, only two or three boxes of goods remain. So I request that their six-year jail terms are upheld,” Senarong said.

The lawyer representing the three convicted men, Peung Yok Hieb, summed up by saying her clients had not actually stolen the goods.

She said the lower court had charged them with violently forcing open a container to steal goods under Article 357 of the Criminal Code and requested the court to amend the case and charge them under Article 356, for standard theft, instead.

Judge In Vanvibol said a verdict would be delivered next Monday.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Potential shield’ for virus hangs in balance

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) suspended trials of the drug that US president Donald Trump has promoted as a coronavirus defence, fuelling concerns about his handling of the pandemic that has killed nearly 100,000 US citizens. Trump has led the push for hydroxychloroquine as a potential

  • Gov’t rolls out stimulus to keep businesses afloat

    The government has introduced the fourth round of stimulus measures aimed at ensuring economic and social stability during the outbreak of the Covid-19 disease. The move, which was announced on Tuesday, is designed to help businesses, factories and enterprises to stay afloat while reducing the

  • E-cigarette back in spotlight amid virus pandemic

    The Ministry of Health’s Department of Communicable Disease (DCD) department has released a video about the effects of smoking, while the NGO Cambodia Movement for Health (CMH) warned against the use of electronic cigarettes or vape. The short video clip that was posted on

  • Por Sen Chey woman murdered

    Por Sen Chey district police are searching for a suspect who robbed and killed a woman in a rented room in Samraong Kraom commune in Phnom Penh at 6:30pm on Monday. Deputy district police chief Chea Sovann told The Post on Tuesday that the victim,

  • Police chief: remove all roadblocks

    National Police chief Neth Savoeun warned Phnom Penh and provincial police chiefs to remove all roadblocks, saying that traffic police officials in some provinces had tightened traffic law implementation against guidelines. In a leaked voice message which was shared on social media on Tuesday, Savoeun

  • Capital calls for Covid-19 caution

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Hall announced on Monday that authorities in the city’s 14 districts must encourage people to continue various safety measures to prevent a second wave of Covid-19. It called on administrations, departments and units to educate residents on daily living habits like