Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - PP police continue to battle trucks travelling in restricted hours



PP police continue to battle trucks travelling in restricted hours

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A truck driver is stopped by police in Phnom Penh on Monday. fresh news

PP police continue to battle trucks travelling in restricted hours

Officials from Phnom Penh’s Daun Penh district said on Tuesday that over the past three days the district authorities had cracked down on 40 heavy trucks found to be violating the ban on travelling on certain prohibited streets during restricted hours.

Daun Penh district security guard chief Kim Vutha told The Post that all vehicles weighing five tonnes or more were prohibited from using the Preah Monivong, Preah Norodom and Russian Federation boulevards, as well as the section of Preah Sisowath Quay between the Chuon Nath roundabout and the Night Market from 6am to 4pm.

“Daun Penh district authorities have cracked down on 40 heavy trucks just in the last three days.

“Last month, we stopped almost 200 heavy trucks and fined the drivers or sent them to the traffic police bureau at Phnom Penh police headquarters to be educated in accordance with the law.

“We have cracked down on trucks violating the ban repeatedly over the past three or four months. Most of the trucks were transporting sand, cement, soil, rocks or bricks,” he said.

Vutha added, however, that the number of trucks violating the ban had decreased compared to last year, when at least 50 to 60 heavy trucks were stopped every day – some weighing as much as 30 tonnes.

He said that in order to maintain order, keep the public safe and ease congestion, Daun Penh authorities regularly deployed 36 officers at 10 target points on the four restricted streets, and another 30 officers were stationed at key locations where traffic was most congested.

Chev Hak, Phnom Penh municipal deputy police chief in charge of traffic, also told The Post that the capital’s traffic police regularly enforced the traffic laws and clamped down on vehicles such as container trucks and concrete mixers that used the prohibited streets during restricted hours.

“Our police officers crack down on the truck drivers and fine them or detain them for education every day,” he said.

When asked how many heavy trucks violating the regulations had been stopped recently by Phnom Penh police, and to provide figures for the first nine months of this year, Hak referred the matter to municipal traffic police chief Sem Kunthea.

However, Kunthea was unavailable for comment when contacted by The Post.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants