Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Preah Vihear boy badly injured in mortar fuse explosion

Preah Vihear boy badly injured in mortar fuse explosion

Preah Vihear boy badly injured in mortar fuse explosion

A nine-year-old boy from Preah Vihear lost his fingers and vision following a mortar fuse explosion, while in a separate incident, a Ratanakkiri man sustained severe injuries on some parts of his body in a homemade grenade blast, authorities of the two provinces said.

Preah Vihear’s Choam Ksan commune chief Sorn Tin told The Post on Monday that the boy had picked up an 80mm mortar fuse from the street while he was on the way home from school. At his grandmother’s house, the victim lit the fuse, causing it to explode.

The boy’s right eye, right leg and stomach were wounded by shattered pieces from the mortar and three fingers from his right hand were cut off, Tin said.

“Based on the preliminary [medical] result, the boy‘s right eye will be blind,” he said, noting that he has been hospitalised at the Siem Reap Referral Hospital since Monday.

Speaking to The Post on Monday, Chhorn Bun Chhoy, 36, said his son had lost three of his fingers and that he needed an eye surgery immediately.

“His doctor told me that his right eye will be blind because his pupil had been damaged by metal fragments. The wounds on his leg and stomach are not too serious, but the boy had lost three fingers,” Bun Chhoy said.

In Ratanakkiri province, an ethnic Jarai sustained severe injuries on the head and chest, and had his right wrist slit, after his homemade bomb went off.

O’Yadav district police chief Souy Samnang on Monday identified the victim as Pouy Yuch, 46, a resident of Dar Thom village in Yatung commune.

Before the accident, Samnang said, the man had filled a can with gunpowder that he gathered from six pieces of firecrackers. The do-it-yourself explosive was intended for fishing.

“The villagers who reported the accident to the police said Yuch’s right wrist was slit and his head and chest were wounded."

“After the local authority intervened, the victim was sent to a hospital in Vietnam. Until now [Monday], he has yet to return home,” Samnang said.

He said the authority has often warned people in the area of combustible risks of explosives such as firecrackers and gunpowder.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Education’ a priority traffic-law penalty

    A top National Police official on June 21 neither rejected nor confirmed the authenticity of a leaked audio message, which has gone viral on social media, on a waiver of fines for a number of road traffic-related offences. General Him Yan, deputy National Police chief in

  • Pursat Ford assembly plant opens

    The Kingdom’s first Ford assembly plant was inaugurated on June 16 in Pursat province amid rising demand for brand-new vehicles among Cambodians. The facility is seen as a game changer for the domestic automobile industry, which could bring a wave of investors seeking to cash

  • Volunteer scheme to foster ‘virtuous’ humanitarian spirit

    A senior education official said volunteer work contributes to solidarity and promotes a virtuous humanitarian spirit among the youth and communities. Serei Chumneas, undersecretary of state at the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, made the comment during the opening of a training programme called “

  • Siem Reap’s $18M zoo said to educate public, help wildlife

    Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium Co Ltd has invested $18 million in a zoo in Siem Reap province, which will be opened in October to educate and promote animal conservation as well as attract national and international tourists. Currently, the Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium is building the

  • Angkor photo rules clarified

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) denied that it had banned the use of camera tripods in the Angkor Archaeological Park, explaining that the confusion stemmed from a long-standing rule which required commercial photographers and videographers to apply for permission to film. The explanation followed a

  • $50B infrastructure plan en route

    The government’s upcoming $50 billion,10-year infrastructure master plan will provide tremendous investment opportunities for domestic and foreign entities, transport experts and economists say. Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol revealed the plan to Japanese ambassador to Cambodia Masahiro Mikami on June 15. At