Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Prosecutors told to step up by ministry



Prosecutors told to step up by ministry

Prosecutors told to step up by ministry

Minister of Justice Ang Vong Vathana yesterday met with prosecutors from around the country, telling them to step up their game when it comes to dealing with violent offenders and drug traffickers.

The closed-door meeting at the Ministry of Justice followed a call by Prime Minister Hun Sen this week to better scrutinise pardon applications after a spate of armed robberies across Cambodia, some involving suspects with prior criminal histories.

“So far, we have heard bad words from the public and that they are unhappy with our work, so this meeting is about waking us up to be more responsible in our work and our obligation to find justice for people,” the minister of justice said.

In one case on December 11, two suspects were killed in a shootout with military police in Phnom Penh hours after they, and two other men since arrested, allegedly fatally shot a motorist during a robbery.

Vathana said that checks revealed that the suspects killed were not pardoned from prison but rather convicted for a previous armed robbery in absentia and not caught.

He said that catching convicted offenders in hiding “is the work that prosecutors should pay attention to”.

After the meeting, Keut Rith, Ministry of Justice secretary of state, said prisoners were eligible for a reduced sentence after serving a third of their term and eligible for a pardon after serving two-thirds.

However, the process was discretionary, he stressed.

“We need [officials] to consider that some criminal cases can’t be pardoned or receive a sentence reduction from the King,” Rith said, highlighting armed robbery as such a case.

The ministry also plans to meet with prison chiefs, court presidents and military police to discuss the issue.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could