Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Provincial cop ‘still on job’ despite sentencing



Provincial cop ‘still on job’ despite sentencing

Provincial cop ‘still on job’ despite sentencing

A provincial police official convicted of raping an 11-year old girl in 2010 retains his freedom – and his job – according to a rights group, despite being sentenced by the Preah Sihanouk Provincial Court in April.

The victim’s father, Yun Bunly, 52, has asked the court to enforce the five-year jail term and $10,000 fine by issuing an arrest warrant for Korng Sophat, 52, a provincial police official.

“I do not know why the rapist is still free after the court has already convicted him. I am worried for my own safety since he is an armed police official,” Bunly said.

The father said he wondered how it was possible that Sophat continues to work as a police official following his April 9 conviction.

While Preah Sihanouk police officials could not be reached yesterday, Licadho coordinator Bun Narith said that Sophat was still working in the department, but had been transferred from immigration police to central security police.

Mong Monychakrya, director of the provincial court, said the fact Sophat had appealed his conviction meant their hands were effectively tied.

“There is no final verdict yet, so we can do nothing.”

Legal expert Sok Sam Oeun said that a felony conviction, like a rape sentence, “should be accompanied by an immediate arrest warrant”.

While Sam Oeun declined to comment on whether it is typical for officials not to be imprisoned upon conviction, he said the “situation is unfair”.

Bunly said he has filed complaints with several organisations but stated that “no measures have been taken yet”.

Sophat could not be reached for comment.

Additional reporting by Alessandro Marazzi Sassoon

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • More than 5K workers rush from Thailand amid outbreak

    Following the recent outbreak of Covid-19 in Thailand’s Samut Sakhon province, Cambodian migrants working in Thailand were gripped by worry over the situation and many rushed to return to their homeland. Over the past 10 days, more than 5,000 migrant workers have returned from Thailand through