Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Rubbish Youths pledge to pursue collection of waste in sewage canal

Rubbish Youths pledge to pursue collection of waste in sewage canal

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Rubbish Youths founder San Dara Vit said he will continue removing litter from the Boeung Trabek canal. Supplied

Rubbish Youths pledge to pursue collection of waste in sewage canal

A group calling themselves “Rubbish Youths” who have become social media celebrities for removing litter from the Boeung Trabek canal have said they will continue doing so despite the authorities halting their Khmer New Year event.

Made up of some 30 young people, the group vowed to keep on clearing rubbish until Cambodia is free of it after Chamkarmon district authorities shut down the trash-collecting new year celebrations they were holding.

Authorities said the group had not applied for permission for the event in Boeung Trabek which was held to highlight the capital’s rubbish problem and underscore the importance of disposing waste properly.

Rubbish Youths acknowledged their mistake in failing to request permission for the event but said they were determined to continue their efforts.

“I think our citizens have thrown rubbish away in a messy manner for many years, so it has become a bad habit that cannot be changed immediately."

“Besides rubbish collection from the canal, the next plan is to collect trash thrown on the ground throughout Phnom Penh,” Rubbish Youths founder San Dara Vit said in a video viewed by almost 50,000 people on Facebook on Tuesday.

Dara Vit told The Post on Wednesday that he did not expect the authorities to shut down their New Year event held to highlight the serious effects rubbish has on the environment.

However, he said he did not seek permission from the authorities as he thought the event was only a small one held with good intentions.

Thim Sam An, the deputy governor of Chamkarmon district, said on Wednesday that while the authorities encouraged the group’s activities, they were concerned the unauthorised event was dangerous.

“I do thank them for their efforts but I want them to be educators for people and leave the work of collecting rubbish to the authorities. It can be dangerous for young people to go into the canal to collect rubbish like that. The canal is deep,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • NY sisters inspired by Khmer heritage

    Growing up in Brooklyn, New York, Cambodian-American sisters Edo and Eyen Chorm have always felt a deep affinity for their Cambodian heritage and roots. When the pair launched their own EdoEyen namesake jewellery brand in June, 2020, they leaned heavily into designs inspired by ancient Khmer

  • Schools drawn into Manet degree row

    Prime Minister Hun Sen stepped into the Hun Manet-Sam Rainsy war of words over the validity of Manet’s degree from the US Military Academy at West Point, set off by Rainsy’s claims that Manet had received a “second-class degree” or “honorary degree”. Hun

  • Cambodia records first Omicron community case

    The Ministry of Health on January 9 reported 30 new Covid-19 cases, 29 of which were imported and all were confirmed to be the Omicron variant. The ministry also reported 11 recoveries and no new deaths. Earlier on January 9, the ministry also announced that it had detected the Kingdom's

  • The effects of the USD interest rate hike on Cambodian economy

    Experts weigh in on the effect of a potential interest rate expansion by the US Federal Reserve on a highly dollarised Cambodia Anticipation of the US Federal Reserve’s interest rate hike in March is putting developing economies on edge, a recent blog post by

  • PM eyes Myanmar peace troika

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has suggested that ASEAN member states establish a tripartite committee or diplomatic troika consisting of representatives from Cambodia, Brunei and Indonesia that would be tasked with mediating a ceasefire in Myanmar. The premier also requested that Nippon Foundation chairman Yohei Sasakawa

  • NagaWorld protest part of ‘conspiracy’

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Court and police held a joint-press conference on January 4 to clarify details concerning the arrest of nine former employees of the integrated resort NagaWorld and the charges brought against them, saying that the authorities had clear grounds for taking legal action.