Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Siem Reap residents given 15 days to make way for road upgrades



Siem Reap residents given 15 days to make way for road upgrades

Siem Reap residents given 15 days to make way for road upgrades

The Siem Reap town hall has given people 15 days starting August 28 to remove any constructions they have built along National Road 6 – from the Sokha Angkor traffic light to the King Jayavarman VII roundabout – to make way for a road-widening project.

Authorities will remove any materials without liability for damage or loss of property if the order is not followed. The announcement stated that everything must be removed and no business can be conducted along the stretch of road.

On August 25, a provincial working group removed ground brickwork and trees along the road.

Siem Reap town governor Nuon Putheara could not be reached for comment on Monday.

However, according to the town hall’s Facebook page, construction of the road will begin in October with the assistance of the Asian Development Bank (ADB).

Its Facebook post said the road will stretch for 5,800m with a width of 29m and will be divided into six lanes of traffic. Lanes for cars, motorbikes and bicycles will be provided and sidewalks 3m wide will be installed. A 2m-wide median strip will separate the lanes of traffic.

Chhim Heang, a resident on National Road 6, told The Post on Monday that he applauded the project, which would make travelling easier.

Sok Ly, another resident living in the area, said some trees had been removed to facilitate the development project.

“Expansion of this road is better because there won’t be traffic congestion and accidents. Moreover, the wider the road, the easier for travelling,” he said. Long Kimmarita

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Preah Sihanouk hit with travel ban

    Preah Sihanouk Provincial Administration has announced a temporary travel ban to and from the province, except for ambulances and trucks transporting goods. The announcement came after prime minister Hun Sen called on people in the province to travel only if necessary, and that people not

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • AstraZeneca jabs touch down in Phnom Penh airport

    The first shipment of 324,000 doses of the AstraZeneca/SII vaccine which was provided through the Covid-19 Vaccines Global Access (COVAX) Facility was delivered to Phnom Penh International Airport on March 2. The rest of the COVAX provided vaccines will arrive in Cambodia at a later date.

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said