Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Sihanoukville bakery brawl leaves one dead, three injured



Sihanoukville bakery brawl leaves one dead, three injured

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A bakery worker is transported to hospital in Sihanoukville after a knife fight. Photo supplied

Sihanoukville bakery brawl leaves one dead, three injured

A violent conflict among four Chinese nationals at a bakery in Sihanoukville left one dead and three seriously injured with knife wounds on Wednesday.

The incident occurred in the city’s Village 1, Commune II, and was first reported by passersby who noticed loud noises coming from the shop.

Preah Sihanouk provincial deputy police chief in charge of serious crimes Kol Phally said the deceased was the 32-year-old bakery owner.

His 30-year-old girlfriend was seriously injured in the knife brawl and was sent to a hospital in Phnom Penh for treatment.

The remaining two victims were pastry workers at the bakery – a 20-year-old man who was injured and stayed at the scene, and a 33-year-old man who was seriously injured. One of the workers was transported to a Phnom Penh hospital for treatment.

According to a provincial police officer who declined to give his name, witnesses claim they heard loud talking coming from the bakery at the time of the incident.

When they investigated, the officer said, they saw four people fighting in the shop. Some were holding knives two or three fingers long, and they lunged at each other.

The officer said witnesses soon realised that one of the men was lying on the floor, bleeding from stab wounds, and was likely seriously injured.

He said provincial police officers eventually arrived at the scene after receiving reports from witnesses.

After the incident, the officer said, police examined the deceased and found two stab wounds in the stomach. The other three injured victims had been stabbed in the body and the stomach, he said.

Provincial police chief Chuon Narin confirmed on Thursday that one man was found dead and three others seriously injured.

“This was caused by two Chinese men in the same group. The other man and woman are being treated in Phnom Penh,” he said.

Narin said there are no other suspects, and once the three injured victims recover, further action would be taken.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could