Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Sugar giant in spotlight for abuse



Sugar giant in spotlight for abuse

Evictees watch a building burn next to a sugar plantation in Oddar Meanchey
Evictees watch a building burn next to a sugar plantation in Oddar Meanchey after authorities set it alight during a 2009 eviction. PHOTO SUPPLIED

Sugar giant in spotlight for abuse

Thailand's human rights commissioner has issued damning preliminary findings against Asia’s largest sugar producer in relation to alleged abuses committed on large economic land concessions in Oddar Meanchey province.

A complaint was filed with the National Human Rights Commission of Thailand (NHRCT) by local NGOs on behalf of 602 villagers in Samrong and Chongkal districts in May last year.

They alleged that systematic rights abuses had occurred during the establishment of three concessions for industrial sugar cane production awarded to shell companies owned by Thai firm Mitr Phol Sugar Corporation in 2008. The concessions are also allegedly linked to ruling party senator Ly Yong Phat, though his company denied that claim yesterday.

At a press conference yesterday, NHRCT commissioner Dr Nirun Phitakwatchara said that after visiting three villages and one resettlement site earlier this week, he had found that local communities had “collapsed” as a result of the concessions.

“The concessions have resulted in the illegal confiscation of land from local people, destruction of their homes, killing of livestock, arson, looting of crops, beatings, threats, intimidation and arrest of villagers – which led to extreme food insecurity and impoverishment over a period of several years,” he said.

While Nirun had only communicated with Mitr Phol in writing, he would seek face-to-face meetings in Thailand, he said.

Mitr Phol could not be reached for comment yesterday but has previously said it had “followed a land concession process prescribed by law”.

Nirun added that he had only seen cassava crops, and not sugar cane, during his fact-finding mission.

Um Sokhon, a Samrong city councillor, confirmed that the companies had cleared sugar cane crops last year.

“The companies are under pressure from the international community, which stopped buying their sugar, so sugar cane was cut down last year to plant cassava instead,” he said.

Sokhon also said that the three concessionaires – which Mitr Phol has admitted are part of a joint venture – are under the control of Yong Phat.

But Seng Nhak, director of the senator’s Phnom Penh Sugar company, said he could “categorically deny that there is any link” between Yong Phat and Mitr Phol in Oddar Meanchey.

A separate complaint was lodged with the NHRCT in January 2010 by communities in Koh Kong province against Thai sugar company KSL.

The commission’s preliminary findings regarding that case in July 2012 also backed their allegations and Nirun said that a final report will be issued in October.

While Nirun admitted that the NHRCT “had no power” to sanction firms or take legal action, he said its reports on both cases would “tell the truth” and could be used to support litigation.

Two hundred Koh Kong families have filed a lawsuit in London against UK sugar firm Tate and Lyle, which they say owes them compensation because it purchased sugar from KSL.

ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY PHAK SEANGLY

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and