Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Supreme Court orders retrial in Kratie gun murder



Supreme Court orders retrial in Kratie gun murder

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The Supreme Court has ordered the Appeal Court to retry a 2011 murder case. Hong Menea

Supreme Court orders retrial in Kratie gun murder

The Supreme Court on Wednesday ordered the Appeal Court to retry the case of Mnom Ny, 53, who was sentenced to life imprisonment by a lower court for the killing of Dy Savy in 2011 at Chhlong district’s Prek Saman commune, Kratie province.

Ny had denied the charges saying he did not shoot Savy.

Supreme Court Judge Kong Srim on Wednesday read the verdict in the absence of Ny: “There is no clear evidence implicating Ny in the murder as the witness did not see Ny committing the murder.

“Despite this, the lower court considered the witness’ statement as sufficient evidence for Ny’s conviction. The Supreme Court has decided to transfer the case to the Appeal Court for a retrial.”

According to Supreme Court records, after the day of the incident, a witness saw Ny walking along the riverside and throwing a gun away.

Ny had previously disclosed that he once had a dispute with the victim but that the commune authorities had intervened and called both sides to amicably settle the matter.

Former commune chief Kea Bunnavy confirmed his statement, saying she was the one who reconciled the dispute between Ny and Savy. She said both sides had gotten along since the incident.

Ny’s wife Tam Romsey, 38, who was present in court on Thursday said: “The Supreme Court dispensed justice to my husband because he didn’t shoot the victim.”

She said the lower court’s verdict was unjust as it put his husband in prison for four years and caused their two children – a 12-year-old son and an 11-year-old daughter – to drop out of school due to lack of financial support from their father.

“I ask the Appeal Court to release my husband because the accusation against him is untrue,” she said.

Savy was found dead on the night of December 18, 2011. In 2016, the police arrested Ny and he was sentenced to life imprisonment by the provincial court on February 8, 2016.

In response, Ny appealed for reconsideration to the Appeal Court. On March 18, this year, the Appeal Court upheld the provincial court’s ruling.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • More than 5K workers rush from Thailand amid outbreak

    Following the recent outbreak of Covid-19 in Thailand’s Samut Sakhon province, Cambodian migrants working in Thailand were gripped by worry over the situation and many rushed to return to their homeland. Over the past 10 days, more than 5,000 migrant workers have returned from Thailand through

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could