Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Two more foreigners arrested in Siem Reap 'pornograpy' case released on bail, leave Cambodia




Two more foreigners arrested in Siem Reap 'pornograpy' case released on bail, leave Cambodia

A photo posted by the National Police of the 10 foreigners detained for "producing pornographic photographs" in Siem Reap. National Police
A photo posted by the National Police last month of the 10 foreigners detained for "producing pornographic photographs" in Siem Reap. National Police

Two more foreigners arrested in Siem Reap 'pornograpy' case released on bail, leave Cambodia

Only one foreigner remains in jail in Siem Reap for allegedly producing “pornographic” content after the release of two more suspects earlier this week.

Lawyer Ouch Sopheaktra said the two received bail approval on Monday after submitting a request last Thursday. They were released in the evening on condition that they leave the country.

“The two are Norwegian and Dutch and flew home on Tuesday,” Sopheaktra said.

The pair were detained along with nearly 80 other foreigners at a party in Siem Reap at the end of January. All but 10 were released that day, with the suspects held on charges of “producing pornography”. Seven of them were released on bail and flew home last week.

Sopheaktra said the court had not decided whether or not to proceed with a hearing – despite those released having been required to immediately leave the country. The last suspect, a British man, remains in prison, he said. “We don’t request bail for this man because in the reports he was the one who organised the party, so if we file a request they won’t let him out.”

Read more: Charges against foreigners over ‘pornography’ are latest blow to Siem Reap businesses

MOST VIEWED

  • Body of woman killed in Bangkok returns

    The Cambodian embassy in Thailand is working to repatriate the body of a casino dealer who was shot dead in Bangkok on Monday night. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesman Kuy Kuong told The Post on Wednesday that officials are preparing paperwork to

  • Chikungunya hits 15 provinces, says gov’t

    Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said on Thursday that the chikungunya outbreak in the Kingdom has spread to 15 provinces. Some 1,700 people are now suspected to have the disease. Vandine urged people to prevent its further spread by eliminating shelters for the Aedes aegypti mosquitoes

  • Gov’t exempts visa A and B holders from Covid fees

    Airline passengers who are diplomats and officials of international organisations holding Type A and B visas for travel to Cambodia are exempted from paying Covid-19 testing fees, said the Ministry of Health in its latest adjustment of rules on Wednesday. Health Minister Mam Bun Heng

  • Bill covering dress code draws ire

    Ministry of Interior secretary of state Ouk Kim Lek responded on Tuesday to criticism concerning a draft law that would ban women from wearing overly revealing clothing, saying that input from all parties will be considered as the law moves through the promulgation process. Several

  • Police arrest 29 Chinese for PP kidnapping

    Phnom Penh Military Police arrested 29 Chinese nationals on kidnapping charges on Wednesday. The suspects are said to have abducted three other Chinese nationals from a hotel in Chaktomuk commune, Daun Penh district. The operation took place on Wednesday and was led by two deputy commanders –

  • What’s the deal with Cambodia and China’s FTA?

    Cambodia’s Free Trade Agreement (FTA) with China kicks off a series of FTAs in future but for now, critics wonder what else the parties could bring to the table apart from what it already has to date By the end of this year, Cambodia