Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Verdict due for bodyguard unit members charged in beating of MPs

Verdict due for bodyguard unit members charged in beating of MPs

Sot Vanny (centre) arrives at Phnom Penh Municipal Court earlier this month for questioning about his involvement in an attack on opposition lawmakers in October.
Sot Vanny (centre) arrives at Phnom Penh Municipal Court earlier this month for questioning about his involvement in an attack on opposition lawmakers in October. Pha Lina

Verdict due for bodyguard unit members charged in beating of MPs

With verdicts due today for three soldiers who admitted beating up two opposition lawmakers outside parliament last year, military sources have told Human Rights Watch they suspect the government has limited the case to the trio to protect the senior military and political officials who organised the attack.

The allegations by the senior military officials, who are not named, are included in a 63-page report by the rights group released yesterday, which adds more material to a substantial body of evidence suggesting the October 26 assault was planned and executed by the prime minister’s personal Bodyguard Unit.

The report – citing military sources – says that prior to the attack, Hun Sen and his “top security force commanders” had set a deadline for the Cambodia National Rescue Party to cease “plotting a colour revolution”, which had become its characterisation of the opposition’s behaviour.

“According to these sources, Hun Sen set a deadline of late October for the CNRP to cease such plotting, saying that unless it did, suppressive action would be taken,” it states. “The events of October 26, 2015, have proved to be the first in such a series of actions.”

Three members of Hun Sen’s bodyguard unit – Mao Hoeung, 34, Sot Vanny, 45, and Chhay Sarith, 33 – have been charged with intentional violence and property damage over the assault.

Their verdict is due today at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court.

The trio has confessed to beating Nhay Chamroeun and Kong Saphea but claim they were not under orders but rather provoked when the victims insulted them, a version of events denied by the lawmakers and not supported by video evidence, the report notes.

The ruling Cambodian People’s Party has repeatedly denied orchestrating the assault, which occurred after a mass pro-CPP rally against opposition leader Kem Sokha, which Hun Sen had alluded to the night before it happened.

Reached yesterday, Commander of the Bodyguard Unit Lieutenant General Hin Bun Heang – a longtime Hun Sen loyalist – denied his elite corp had carried out the attack, as suggested by the report.

“Who said that? Don’t just say something which is untrue. Are [those levelling the accusations] crazy or not,” he said, before hanging up.

Yesterday, the Council of Minister’s Press and Quick Reaction Unit spokesman Tith Sothea called the report unsubstantiated “slander”. “The truth and evidence was revealed by those who confessed in court,” Sothea said.

However, Royal Cambodian Armed Forces sources spoken to by HRW say that “within government circles” it is “widely believed” the case has focused on the trio to shield senior officials who organised the attack.

“From start to finish, the October 26 assault had all the hallmarks of an operation carried out by Cambodian state security forces,” states the report, which calls for international donors to pressure the government to make more arrests.

At least 16 men can be seen in video footage taking part in the attack.

The report cites an unnamed judicial official arguing that the case had been restricted to speed up the trial.

This allowed judges to deem questions of higher-level involvement out of the case’s scope, the report notes.

The Post has previously reported that soldiers involved in the attack had travelled to the National Assembly from a Bodyguard Unit base in Kandal province run by Deputy Bodyguard Commander Lieutenant General Deang Sarun, who was unreachable yesterday.

Sarun – chairman of the youth group that led the anti-Sokha rally – is a “principle commander” of the premier’s bodyguards, the report states, adding that the youth group’s vice presidents include Sarun’s son and the daughter of Anti-Corruption Unit President Om Yentieng.

It also mentions Sarun was an assistant of four-star general and close Hun Sen ally Kun Kim, who is described in the report as the premier’s “hatchet man”. Kim was also unreachable yesterday, as was a Defence Ministry spokesman.

MOST VIEWED

  • NY sisters inspired by Khmer heritage

    Growing up in Brooklyn, New York, Cambodian-American sisters Edo and Eyen Chorm have always felt a deep affinity for their Cambodian heritage and roots. When the pair launched their own EdoEyen namesake jewellery brand in June, 2020, they leaned heavily into designs inspired by ancient Khmer

  • Schools drawn into Manet degree row

    Prime Minister Hun Sen stepped into the Hun Manet-Sam Rainsy war of words over the validity of Manet’s degree from the US Military Academy at West Point, set off by Rainsy’s claims that Manet had received a “second-class degree” or “honorary degree”. Hun

  • Cambodia records first Omicron community case

    The Ministry of Health on January 9 reported 30 new Covid-19 cases, 29 of which were imported and all were confirmed to be the Omicron variant. The ministry also reported 11 recoveries and no new deaths. Earlier on January 9, the ministry also announced that it had detected the Kingdom's

  • The effects of the USD interest rate hike on Cambodian economy

    Experts weigh in on the effect of a potential interest rate expansion by the US Federal Reserve on a highly dollarised Cambodia Anticipation of the US Federal Reserve’s interest rate hike in March is putting developing economies on edge, a recent blog post by

  • PM eyes Myanmar peace troika

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has suggested that ASEAN member states establish a tripartite committee or diplomatic troika consisting of representatives from Cambodia, Brunei and Indonesia that would be tasked with mediating a ceasefire in Myanmar. The premier also requested that Nippon Foundation chairman Yohei Sasakawa

  • Kampot tourism quay ‘90% done’

    Construction on Kampot International Tourism Port – a 4ha quay in Teuk Chhou district about 6km west of Kampot town – has fallen off track, reaching 90 per cent completion, according to a senior Ministry of Tourism official last week. The project is now planned to be finished