Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Verdicts stick as court rejects Sarath appeal

Verdicts stick as court rejects Sarath appeal

Illegal weapons are seized at the house of tycoon Thong Sarath's parents in January.
Illegal weapons are seized at the house of tycoon Thong Sarath's parents in January. Photo supplied

Verdicts stick as court rejects Sarath appeal

The Court of Appeal yesterday upheld the jail sentences of tycoon Thong Sarath and his parents, all of whom were found guilty of illegal weapons possession by Phnom Penh Municipal court in June.

Sarath, head of the Borey 999 development project, was the prime suspect in the November 2014 shooting death of Shimmex Group chairman Ung Meng Cheu. His murder charge is still outstanding and that trial has yet to begin.

Police raiding the tycoon’s residences last year found 15 guns, including four AK-47s. Of those weapons, the tycoon and his family members were legally licensed to possess just two pistols, according to the municipal court.

Judge Tith Sothy Boraleak yesterday rejected as excuses the appellants’ testimonies that Sarath did not handle the weapons himself and that they were only used by his bodyguards, four of whom have been charged in Meng Cheu’s murder.

“The evidence and the witness [testimonies] are the same as what the police found – weapons at [Sarath’s] house, hidden in ceilings and secret places,” she said.

“Those weapons belong to Thong Sarath. Therefore, we decided to uphold the verdict and continue to detain the suspects.”

Sarath was sentenced to two and a half years in prison on his weapons charges. His parents were sentenced to two years each.

MOST VIEWED

  • Typhoon Noru brings flash floods – 16 dead

    An official warned that that the 16th typhoon of the season, Noru, had brought heavy rains to areas the Mekong River and flooded thousands of homes in the provinces bordering Thailand. As of September 27, the death toll from the flooding had risen to 16. National Committee

  • Siem Reap drain canal now ‘mangrove’ promenade

    A more than half a kilometre long stretch of canal in Siem Reap has been covered and turned into a promenade to attract visitors, said Ly Rasmey, secretary of state at the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction, on September 16. The new pedestrianised

  • Angkor wildlife, aquarium park still to open October

    The Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium complex about 30km southeast of Siem Reap town with initial total investment of more than $70 million is reportedly still on track for an end-October opening. The park is located on a 100ha plot along National Road 6 in Kbon village, Khchas

  • Defence minister reaffirms Kingdom’s staunch support for One-China policy

    Minister of National Defence General Tea Banh has reaffirmed Cambodia’s unwavering support for the One-China policy. Tea Banh was speaking at the September 20 ceremonial handover of 117 vehicles and other military equipment donated by China’s defence ministry, held at Phnom Chumreay International Military Training

  • Deaths due to ‘lifestyle’ diseases rise in Kingdom

    The Ministry of Health has called on people to pay closer attention to their health to protect themselves from non-communicable diseases (NCDs) which it said have caused high rates of deaths in the country. Ministry secretary of state York Sambath made the call at a

  • Textile industry minimum wage now $200

    The official minimum wage for workers in textile-related sectors including garment, footwear, and travel goods for 2023 was pegged at $198, with Prime Minister Hun Sen stepping in to add $2 to the total, making it $200 per month. The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training made the announcement