Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - White Building demolition soon to begin



White Building demolition soon to begin

The iconic White Building in Phnom Penh is slated to be razed soon after the structure’s 493 families leave the crumbling structure.
The iconic White Building in Phnom Penh is slated to be razed soon after the structure’s 493 families leave the crumbling structure. Hong Menea

White Building demolition soon to begin

The Ministry of Land Management yesterday announced that the decades-old White Building in the capital will be demolished starting July 17 in order to make way for a new 21-storey structure.

The announcement was released late yesterday evening and said the process of taking down the crumbling structure will cause some disturbances for those living close to the White Building.

“This demolition will lead to a disruption to the people living around the location as well as passers-by and will require carefulness and cooperation,” the short notification reads.

The dilapidated structure will make way for a 21-storey building that will be constructed by Japanese firm Arakawa Co, for an estimated cost of $70 million.

While five floors of the new building had been set aside for residents, most residents have chosen to take the $1,400-per-square-metre payout, with 468 of the 493 families having vacated the building as of yesterday. Ministry spokesman Seang Lot said it would take a few weeks to tear down the structure and that fewer than 10 families had yet to take the compensation, though he was confident they would before the July 17 deadline.

See more:

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants