Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - White Building holdouts



White Building holdouts

The view from the White Building yesterday in Phnom Penh.
The view from the White Building yesterday in Phnom Penh. Pha Lina

White Building holdouts

More than 430 of the 493 families who formerly resided in Phnom Penh’s White Building have vacated the premises, but around 15 families have yet to accept compensation packages for their apartments, according to a Land Management Ministry official.

The building is slated to be demolished and replaced by a 21-storey structure constructed by Japanese firm Arakawa Co. Hue Chenda, deputy director for the Land Management Ministry’s Housing Department, said the holdouts wanted more than the $1,400 per square metre on offer for their dilapidated apartment units, which he likened to secondhand ‘sleeping mats’.

White Building residents sign contracts accepting compensation offered by the Land Ministry yesterday on Friday at the ministry. Facebook
White Building residents sign contracts accepting compensation offered by the Land Ministry yesterday on Friday at the ministry. Facebook

“If it is a golden mat, then it is OK. But they want to sell a ruined mat to buy a villa,” he said yesterday. “But what we can say is that they are greedy.”

Starting June 6, families began to pack up their belongings and move to new homes across the city. While the ministry originally set a July 6 deadline for the move, Chenda yesterday said it had been extended to July 20.

See more:

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants